Free Open Source Mayhem Software Has Home Automation Potential
Mayhem is a free open source software application that allows you to connect devices to services on your Windows computer. While it’s possible for programmers to create links like these, Mayhem’s simple UI of events and reactions allows us mere mortals to do the same. You choose the trigger input and then the corresponding output you want to fire. Some of the examples in the video include an Xbox remote being used to advance PowerPoint slides and a home automation setup using a voice command to control an Insteon lamp. Check out the video below…
“Mayhem is open source – Mayhem was originally developed by Microsoft to allow everyone to harness the power of programming to connect devices and services, without programming. Ownership of Mayhem was transferred to the Outercurve Foundation as an open source project, and is freely available for download, use, and extension. As such, Mayhem will continue to grow as the open source community adds new modules. Keep checking back for new capabilities!
What can i do with mayhem? – The power of Mayhem is that it lets you trivially connect any device or service to any other device or service. It would be impossible to list all the things you can do with Mayhem, but here are some examples:
- Use your cell phone to control your PowerPoint presentation.
- Receive an email reminder to winterize your house when the temperature drops below freezing.
- Automatically update your Facebook status to “I’m rich!” whenever Microsoft stock hits $50 a share.
- Add an auto-save feature to a program that doesn’t have it.
- Pause a video automatically when you leave the room.
The great thing about Mayhem is that all of these things can be done by anyone in seconds, without programming!”
makemayhem.com [Thanks Brougham]