Here’s an interesting little box from Keene Electronics. The AU-11CA HDMI Audio Embedder will inject an external audio signal into your HDMI cable. Some systems don;t include digial audio over HDMI, as any owner of a Sky+ box knows. So using this device you can free up a digital audio input on your AV amp by injecting the audio into the HDMI
“AU-11CA HDMI Audio Embedder with built in Repeater – The AU-11CA Audio Embedder lets you insert an external audio signal into any HDMI source. The device allows you to insert analogue or digital stereo and multi-channel digital surround sound signals (via Optical) to give users the capability to overcome audio issues within complex HDMI installation. The AU-11CA also repeats the HDMI signal to allow an extended total HDMI cable range.
- Compliant with HDMI v1.3 , HDCP 1.2 and DVI 1.0.
- Supports Optical Sample Rate up to 96 kHz.
- Supports LPCM Stereo, DTS and Dolby Digital via Optical input.
- Supports up to 24bit resolution digital audio.
- HDMI cable distance testing showed that with 1080p 8bit/12bit resolution, the input/output distance is up to 10 meters.
- Low power consumption.
- Supports HDMI Sample Rates up to 192 kHz.
- Inputs 1 x HDMI, 1 x Optical, 1 x Analogue Stereo (2 x RCA)
- Outputs 1 x HDMI
- Power 5V/1A DC (US/EU standards, CE/FCC/UL certified).
- Dimensions 85(D) x 85(W) x 35(H)mm.
- Gross Weight 440g.
- Net. Weight 260g.”