Advice needed, please - remote automation via mobile phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manulike
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2012

Advice needed, please - remote automation via mobile phone?

I have tried my best to read previous threads, but most were much to technical for me.

I would like to be able to activate two electric sockets (just on/off) for the purpose of turning on
    2 electric heaters in my office, while I am still at home. I have no land line or internet at the office
    (hence, perhaps the use of a mobile phone SIM activation)?

What would be the cheapest option for doing this - preferably wire-free and easy to fit?

I noticed a Home Easy HE101 for sale on eBay for £20 - is this suitable and the most user friendly?
    Do I need their socket system? My heaters are 2000Kw each - will I need
    2 of these - Home Easy HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket Black (3000W) - they are £6 each

Am I headed in the right direction?

Any suggestions and help with other (more simple or cheaper systems) would be appreciated.

Have a wonderful New Year,
    Philip
  • bailers
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2010

Hi Philip,

If you are not very technical then the home easy route would be the most sensible you would need the following:

2 x he302 on/off sockets - suitable for up to 3kw
    1 x he101 SMS base station
    1 x SIM card

A huge word of warning, switching of electric heaters whilst unsupervised poses a potential fire hazard however I am sure you know what you are doing.

BR

Chris

Comment

• manulike
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bailers View Post

2 x he302 on/off sockets - suitable for up to 3kw
      1 x he101 SMS base station
      1 x SIM card
      Thanks Chris,
      Can you please tell me if the HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket are any different to your recommended HE302?

I can't seem to be able to find the HE302 - perhaps an earlier model?

Thanks again

Comment

• bailers
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by manulike View Post
        Thanks Chris,
        Can you please tell me if the HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket are any different to your recommended HE302?

I can't seem to be able to find the HE302 - perhaps an earlier model?

Thanks again
        Not 100% sure but the homeeasy site shows them as HE302's perhaps the ones you have seen on eBay have the wrong model number. I did see an old eBay listing for HE322Bs however they did look the same as the he302 but in black. As long as they are on/off and are rated to 3kw you should be fine.

Comment

• manulike
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2012

Thanks again, Chris,
          Very much appreciate your help.
          Just one final note for anyone interested in this type of product:
          I have seen the base unit at prices ranging from £20 at eBay (new and with 1 year warranty) to £149...
          I have also seen the sockets for £50 each... (and they are £6 on eBay)
          This seems like a neat package for £40 including p&p
          So please do shop around!

Comment

• bailers
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by manulike View Post
            Thanks again, Chris,
            Very much appreciate your help.
            Just one final note for anyone interested in this type of product:
            I have seen the base unit at prices ranging from £20 at eBay (new and with 1 year warranty) to £149...
            I have also seen the sockets for £50 each... (and they are £6 on eBay)
            This seems like a neat package for £40 including p&p
            So please do shop around!
            I agree this is a great value option for someone, I used to use the homeeasy range before moving to Loxone. I found it to be fairly reliable and robust

Comment

• manulike
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bailers View Post
              I agree this is a great value option for someone, I used to use the homeeasy range before moving to Loxone. I found it to be fairly reliable and robust
              A FINAL UPDATE:
              Just received the £40 starter kit in the post today. Very happy with them as a company (Halx) as they were pleased to answer 3 or 4 long emails of mine, quite swiftly.

As for the HE 101 and socket kit - AMAZING! Really very user friendly and it only took me 5 minutes to figure out how to "train" the socket (in "learning" mode) and then I was totally up and running. And i am really VERY bad with technology usually...

As far as economizing further ... I recommend using giff-gaff SIM card - and perhaps after a few weeks I will be confident enough to turn off the return text confirmation option (making the mobile text communication totally free). Giff Gaff allow 6 months of non chargeable events before they terminate an account...

I don't really need the remote control or the light switch - but my mate, with a much larger home, is glad to take them off my hands!

Really appreciate your help, Chris.
              Last edited by manulike; 6 January 2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X