X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy from embsay
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2006

I'm after some advice, Nick or anyone! Renovating/extending a detached bungalow and will have 3 receptions, study plus 4 beds. Will want telly in 2 receptions (sky+ box in both, one of them HD), 3 beds, kitchen and study. Will want networked computer in study and one reception (plus wifi for the rest), phones in one reception, kitchen and one bed and also want music in one en-suite (but think I'll do that locally as mrs has swish ipod dock I can pipe through).

Have looked at Digital Plumbers, singlepoint and one or two of the other systems recommended on this thread - but as we'll be rewiring the whole house the disruption's not a problem, so am really after the best and most flexible option without breaking the bank.

Cheers!

Comment

• pocky
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2007

If you have a close look at singlepoint (actually it is Kerpen HomeNet ) You will see that it is a neural highly shielded cabling system that will allow signals up to 2.5 Ghz which is more than the 2.1 GHz SKY and data up to 10GBit. And in addition there are cables for SPDIF, composite, S-Video, etc..... where you do NOT need any electronic device to "adapt" the signal to Cat5/6 carrying capacity.

Contrary to abitana, Lexcom and the like, Kerpen does NOT suppl active components such as audio hubs, etc so you are FREE to use whatever you like. No need to stick with one manufacturer and his prices.

So this system is versatile and independent what you can't say about any other once and not even of Cat5 as they NEED electronic devices - which by the way costs $$$ and adds to the overall costs you have to look at in addition to cable costs.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The Kerpen system uses what looks like a proprietary connector, the HomeNet 1200 Connector, rather than the industry standard RJ45. So if the company disappears. You are stuck with a system you may not be able to use or buy connectors for. Where as many of the other systems use industry standard connectors so are available from many sources.
        Last edited by toscal; 28 October 2007, 06:45 PM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pocky
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2007

Right, but this product is on the market for about 10 years now in commercial installation and is sold by Kerpen in Germany who are in the business for 80 years and part of LEONI which is one of the biggest manufacturer of cabling in Europe and it is sold by BKS in Switzerland for 10 years. They are also in business for more than 20 years. So there is no big risk of them going out of business.

The problem with the RJ45 is the quality. It is not gas tight, shielding stops at the cable and doesn't go through the connectors, etc... I have seen - just as any other professional on this list - so many RJ45 that are getting loose over a short time.

I think the question is more like: Old standard and old fashion system or versatility, future proof and high capacity.

Comment

• gilesrj
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2007

abit lost now

hi all, this is interesting stuff. i am doing a full refurb of a 5 bed, 2 storey victorian house and want to put in the right wiring so in the future when i actually have any money i can put in a full av system - pc/sky/dvd & controls.

currently i am l looking at abitana, single point and as many suggest here, bundling several cat5 and a coaxial together to acheive similar results. thinking one central point in each room with all services going to that point.

stage 1
            i am looking to drop in internet-data/freeview-video-dvd/telephone/sat-bt vision to all 5 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms with master bedroom, kitchen and reception having built in ceiling speakers.

stage 2
            would like them all to have indepenedent control of all content via remote.

any thoughts or suggestions...

Comment

• pocky
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2007

abitana uses it's own active componets and by the design of the abitana cabinet you can not use 3rd party stuff in the future. So you are stucked with abitana for your phone-, TV-, audio-, Internet-active components.

If you are doing your house new you should do at least 2 sockets in all primary rooms (living, study, master bedroom, etc.) otherwise you will have the socket on the wrong side of the room in 10 years (Your wife will tell you so in 10 years)

Look at flexibilty, more sockets is better no matter what system you use

Comment

• gilesrj
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2007

thanks.

also looking at just a big old media server/distributer like "living control" or other.

anyone know of the best way to wire for this - or what these guys are like?

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by pocky View Post
                  abitana uses it's own active componets and by the design of the abitana cabinet you can not use 3rd party stuff in the future. So you are stucked with abitana for your phone-, TV-, audio-, Internet-active components.
                  Not quite true you can get a special shelf that fits into the cabinet so you can use your own router etc.
                  IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pocky
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                    Not quite true you can get a special shelf that fits into the cabinet so you can use your own router etc.
                    And your own TV, phone, audio distributor? Didn't see that in the abitana catalogue

Comment

• yakboy
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Oct 2006

If anybody is interested I have about 80m of Abitana cable spare after my installation. If anybody wants to make me an offer I can organise to post it.

Comment

Working...
                      X