• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quinten
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2004

Reduced sound level

Hi Keith,

As you are aware, I bought Graham Howes old units and since tonight, the sound level has significantly reduced on the KAT5 signal. I made sure that all the wiring was firmly connected, but nothing seems to have worked. I'm using only 1 TX and 1 RX at the moment, and I suspect the TX is at fault. Is there something else I can check?

Q.
    Awooga!!!
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Quinten View Post
    Hi Keith,

As you are aware, I bought Graham Howes old units and since tonight, the sound level has significantly reduced on the KAT5 signal. I made sure that all the wiring was firmly connected, but nothing seems to have worked. I'm using only 1 TX and 1 RX at the moment, and I suspect the TX is at fault. Is there something else I can check?

Q.
    Hi Q

Are both Left and right channels low in level or just one ?

The transmitter has individual opamps for each channel but the reciever shares an op amp. Unlikely to develop two faults at the same time so if both channels are low then most likely the receiver.

Can you test with the units connect just by a short patch cord. Failing that if you contact me off list and arrange to send them to me I will test them out and see what the problem is.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Quinten
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2004

Cheers Keith,

I can't say if it's both left and right, other than that the sound through the TV has reduced significantly, which appears to me (the untrained) that both left and right are reduced. If I crank up the volume to 35+ (normal level is 10), it's at normal level again.

I'll try connecting them on a different patch lead and also try a different source (to eliminate the scart switcher I'm using). I'll keep you posted.
      Awooga!!!

Comment

• Quinten
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • May 2004

Apologies for not progressing on this for such a long time, but I've got it sorted. It turned out to be a cat5 cabling issue, and not a Kat5 defect. After this weekends Christmas tree installation, I discovered that the cat5 coupler I am using wasn't making a good connection causing the sound to be reduced. Rather strange, but after 'jiggling' the connectors in the coupler the sound issue was fixed.

Thanks!
        Awooga!!!

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

Glad you got it sorted OK.
          KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
          http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
          X