X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MalcolmSu
    • Mar 2024

Z-Wave review

As a long time Homeseer user, with almost every electrical device and light controlled either by a plug in or hard wired X10 unit, I found yesterday's Z-Wave review by Len Marten extremely useful.

Sometime ago a poster on the Homeseer forum said:

=================
    The three best things I've ever done to improve my HA experience are:

1) Acquire HomeSeer
    2) Get a W800
    3) Convert from X10 to Z-Wave
    =================

I wholeheartedly agree with 1 and 2 and until I read Len's article thought 3 was a long way off achieving in the UK. Whilst I can't see me acheiving point 3 overnight (I couldn't afford to even if all the kit was available) at least now I can see that I can start to dabble - which is how I started with X10 all those years ago!

I particularly look forward to the day when I can eliminate all those false triggers.

I've just come back from holidays to find one front bedroom's curtains closed - during the afternoon! The Homeseer log shows everything working as it should but at some time during the 2 week holiday a curtain open event must have failed so that the 'close at night open in the morning' events must have got out of sequence.

Thanks for the motivation Len.

Malcolm
  • Wolfthing
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2004

Re: Z-Wave review

Thanks for the motivation Len.
    You're welcome. I wrote the article because I could see the potential of Z-Wave but was getting frustrated with the lack of UK supply.

I was hoping to encourage, people like yourselves, to stop and think before expanding current X10 installations - there is another way.

I think it's not a case of "if" but "when".

I'd like to think that some bright spark produces some Z-Wave enabled X10 modules or tools to make running these two competing technologies to work side by side. This will enable X10er's to expand using Z-Wave and help future migration.

Wolfthing/Len

Comment

• Anonymous
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2000

Just placed an order for some Zwave kit from the US automated outlet
      egerly awaiting it's arival!

Comment

• MalcolmSu
        • Mar 2024

The links in the review article to the Z Wave manuals on the ACT site no longer work and a quick Google didn't find alternatives. Any pointers to an alternative source please??

Malcolm

Comment

• keyvan
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2004

Try this site:

Keyvan

Comment

• MalcolmSu
            • Mar 2024

That's the same site. The pdf manuals don't seem to be there anymore. Ony the sales brochures.

Malcolm

Comment

• keyvan
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jan 2004

I can send you the ZTH200 manual (the remote control) - there is not much to the mains units themselves - just a button to register/de-register the unit with the remote.

The pdf is 797K. Let me know if you want it.

Keyvan

Comment

• MalcolmSu
                • Mar 2024

Thanks Keyvan, i'm up and running now with three lamp modules and HomeSeer. It was a doddle to set up so I don't think I need the manual now. Many thanks anyway. :-)

The system is a dream, so responsive. Still figuring out one or two things though. For example i do a dim to 50% and the feedback is 54%.

Malcolm

Comment

Working...
                X