• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starker
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2008

x10 repeaters/amplifiers

Hello All,

I've installed some powerflash's on some PIRs in an outbuilding which is 100m from the house via 2 fuseboxes. I can pick up the signal from the powerflash in the house on some sockets and not others. I'm guessing it's the distant and most probably a bit of noise from the house which to date hasn't effected anything because the signals have always been strong enough..

So, was looking at repeaters/amplifiers and wondered if anyone had any experience with them and what makes/models are good or bad?

Would a marmitek coupler/filter be the first step or should i go for something like the XTB-IIR??

Thanks
    I tech my house - www.techmyhouse.net
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

You should always use an X10 filter such as an FD10 in the consumer unit. This stops noise and possible X10 signals from entering the house, and your X10 signals from leaving the house.
    As for the others I can't comment. But a repeater would possibly be a good idea. Most X10 signals have a maximum wire distance of about 40m to 50m before they degrade sufficiently to start causing real problems. Saying that some of the newer modules are much better than the older ones, and can transmit over greater distances.
    Do you have any other X10 modules in you house. Just thinking about address collisions etc. Also What house code do you have set. House codes such as M and N seem to be more prone to noise than others.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• starker
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2008

thanks Toscal.. I unplugged all my other X10 modules in the house and still get the same, so from what you say, distance is most probably the problem as I've moved the powerflash to the house and all works ok. I'm surprised it works atall really as the cable length must be well over 120m(but it is a whopper of a cable!). The commands from my CM15 reach the outbuilding fine and never miss(they are X102 modules from HK), so I'm going to look at the XTB-IIR, but as you suggest, I'll fit an FD10 first.

On the plus side my PIRs and relays work a treat!

thanks again.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

IF you are using a CM15 then why not get is to send commands over RF via a macro then just buy a TM13 to plug in to a socket in the out building. Mind you I think once again you may run into distance problems. As the RF works to about 50m or so before you can run into reliability issues.
        Though if you are handy with a soldering iron you can mod the cm15 to improve its RF range.
        Where is the Cm15 plugged into. The closer this is to where the cable goes from the house to the out buildings the better.
        Let me know how you get on.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• starker
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2008

Good idea Toscal.. Problem is my house is made of 14 inch flint walls which seem to block most signals which is a pain!

After a weekend of trawling the web and emailing Jeff(the chap who makes the XTB) I've come to the conclusion that i need an FD10, a few filters and an XTB-IIR. With any luck i'll have it up and running(or not) in a couple of weeks and will let you know the outcome.

fingers crossed!!!!

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Let me know how you get on with the XTB.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• starker
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Apr 2008

Update as promised:

I recieved the XTB-IIR this morning and it took me a few minutes to install. Without adding any filters what so ever everything now works perfectly without fail. What a great piece of kit - I highly recommend it

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Thats good to hear.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                X