• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coyote
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2010

HR80 evotouch binding problems

Hi,
    I've trouble binding HR80's to the Evotouch controller. The BDR91 relais bind correctly, but the HR80's do not.
    I'm going through the procedure by pressing the button on the HR80 for about 1 second, after which it shows the version number. The I click the bind button on the Evotouch controller and I see SYNC appearing in the display of the HR80.
    But I never get a confirmation on the Evotouch, like I did when I binded the BDR91. And the Evotouch complains that binding is incomplete.
    I tried resetting the Evotouch to factory settings, removing batteries from the HR80, distance between the two has been reduced to 10cm.
    Since I can successfully bind the BDR91 and the issue occurs with each of the six HR80 I have, I'm probably making some basic mistake.
    If anyone can help, I would much appreciate it.
  • nappyshock
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2010

On the HR80 take the batteries out and then press the bind button while putting them back in, this clears any existing binding. Then try again.

Comment

• nappyshock
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2010

Another thing that may catch you out, is the RF tests. When you have binded to your sensor it prompts you for a RF test. For this to work the sensor has to be manually put into test mode, so don't be concerned if it shows as failed if you think it has all worked ok when you are back in the home screen click on menu and system overview this shows the status of all your sensors you should see it showing a temperature there try heating the sensor up with a hair dryer and you will see the temp change... but it is not instantaneous it only checks every few minutes.

How long have you had your evotouch? how is it going generally? I've only had mine a few days and am learning like you, at the moment it's not all installed yet.

Comment

• coyote
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2010

There's some progress, the binding seems to work, but the comms test fails and I do not have the temperature readout for the zones on the Evotouch.

I'm also fairly new to the Evohome system, and judging by the number of replies in the forum and knowledge with suppliers, most of us are.
        I got mine from Siwako in Rotterdam, where one of the staff had a Honeywell training on Evohome.

I've now (last weekend) set up three zones and they behave like intended.
        The problem I tried to tackle was a fairly familiar one: Only the room with the thermostat would get warm, the rest of the house wouldn't.
        The house is connected to a district heating system, so I do not have a boiler at home. The thermostat was controlling a valve in the heating supply pipe, it is now controlled by a BDR91 relais.
        The three zones are kitchen (2x HR80), hall (1xHR80) and living (3x HR80). I want an additional HR80 for the home office. The bedrooms are left with simple thermostat controls for the rads, maybe when the kids grow up I'll replace those as well.
        I terms of comfort there's no comparison to the old situation (winter came at a perfect time to test), and I start feeling that this was a good investment.
        I would like to enable the temperature readout in the Evotouch for all the zones, I hope that is feasible using just the HR80 in the zone.

Comment

• nappyshock
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2010

I'm hoping to get mine installed this weekend. I've got 8 zones and am using seperate DT92e thermostats in 4 of them (plus the internal senor in the evotouch) the rest will use the sensors in the HR80's. I've just been playing up to now, i've setup all the zones and the DT92e's and all is looking good i can see all the temperatures, i did try and setup a HR80 and like you had problems until i reset the original binding on it, it was then acepted as a sensor and then i also added it as an actuator and i could see the temperature of it on the evotouch so i don't know why you can't see yours. When i've had a go at setting it all up properly i might have an answer.

One thing when adding the sensor it gives you two options (i can't remember the exact wording) one is a normal remote sensor and one for interactive remote sensor. I think the normal remote sensor is just for passive devices that report the temperature and the other for devices that can act on the temperature. I'm guessing the HR80's would be the interactive option.

Comment

• coyote
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2010

Ah, now I feel I'm getting somewhere. You said you added the HR80's twice? Once as a sensor and once as a rad controller? The Dutch docs do not mention this (or I overlooked it..).
            I'll have a go at it and let you know if that works.

Comment

• coyote
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2010

That was it: I went in to the config menu, zoneconfig, temp sensor, external sensor, 1 zonetemp, and pressed the bind button on the HR80. And presto, the Evotouch now reports on all zones. Many thanks!!

Now let's see if the BDR91 opens the main valve if there is a heat demand from any of the zones.

Comment

• nappyshock
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2010

Excellent, keep me posted on how you are finding day to day running, any tips etc.

Mine will be going live soon and with this freezing weather there will be lots of complaints from the family if it goes wong.

Comment

• fourtears
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2010

Nappyshock (or anyone else), Can I ask with your DT92s on an evotouch system how do they work in practice and what features do they give you? I am considering having a multi-zone system with an evotouch panel to look after the whole house and some DT92s in guest bedrooms. Zoning will be achieved through HR80s on the rads. It is a holiday house and the the guest bedrooms are used quite frequently in various combinations but rarely are they all used. I am hoping the DT92s can be used to switch them in and out of the heating program i.e. hoping you can switch a room off from the DT92 and it will remain off until it is switched back on irrespective of the heating program from the evotouch. I know that changing the set point on HR80s gets over-ridden at the next set point change. Asking guests to set up a program on the main panel and then remember to delete that program when they leave does not seem practical for switching rooms in and out.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by fourtears View Post
                    Nappyshock (or anyone else), Can I ask with your DT92s on an evotouch system how do they work in practice and what features do they give you? I am considering having a multi-zone system with an evotouch panel to look after the whole house and some DT92s in guest bedrooms. Zoning will be achieved through HR80s on the rads. It is a holiday house and the the guest bedrooms are used quite frequently in various combinations but rarely are they all used. I am hoping the DT92s can be used to switch them in and out of the heating program i.e. hoping you can switch a room off from the DT92 and it will remain off until it is switched back on irrespective of the heating program from the evotouch. I know that changing the set point on HR80s gets over-ridden at the next set point change. Asking guests to set up a program on the main panel and then remember to delete that program when they leave does not seem practical for switching rooms in and out.
                    The behaviour of DT92s is no different to HR80s, the setpoint adjustment will be reset by the standard time programme. So on this case they offer no benefit over the HR80s apart from showing the setpoint on the wall rather than at the radiator.
                    Sensible Heat
                    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• fourtears
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Dec 2010

Thanks SensibleHeat. Any suggestions to do what I want i.e switch on/off rooms within the heating program without the user having to edit the program? Only 2 ways I can think of are either the web interface you sell to hometronic that would allow a computer to upload a new time program with each room included/excluded based on a set of user switches, or physical zone valves under separate control to isolate parts of the system and therefore effectively starve those HR80s of heat. In the latter case would presumably need to disable the optimum start as the system would get confused with heat sometimes being unavailable.

Anyone know if honeywell are planning a web or pc interface for evotouch? There is a promising looking USB socket and the mention of PC connection in the evotouch description.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                        • Feb 2009

Our Web manager would at least allow you to remotely manage the time programmes but it is not quite as automatic as you would like - you would still have to upload each room individually (although you can save the individual profiles for easy uploading to each room).

We've not had any details yet about Honeywell's own plans to introduce any kind of PC/web management to Evo Touch. We are working on integrating it to our Web Manager in any case but we're at the early stages just now. How long it takes will depend on how much work Honeywell have to do for us and how quickly then can modify/test the firmware updates required before they are released.
                        Sensible Heat
                        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• nappyshock
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Sep 2010

The HR80's can act both as the radiator actuator turning it on and off plus the room thermostat. If you prefer a seperate thermostat for a room/zone then you can use a DT92e.

The advantage of using a DT92e i belive is a more user friendly and acurate control of a zone. The DT92e is wall mounted and can be placed in a position you think will be best suited to measure the room temperature. You can use it to easily see the current temperature and conveniently temporaily adjust it if you wish.
                          It can overcome situations where for example your radiator is behind a chair or something and the HR80 does not get free air flow to get an acurate temperature measurement.

I had a room that i thought was a bit cool for the set temperature and was using just HR80's for both functions, radiator control and thermostat, i fitted a DT92e on the oppersite wall to the radiator doing no control just showing the temperature. The room temperature measured on the HR80 at the radiator could be 2 degree's higher than that on the DT92e, so i changed to having the DT92e acting as the thermostat.

The system would work perfectly well with just HR80's you would just need to keep adjusting the set temperature on the HR80 until it was comfortable for the room/zone, but i like to have the seperate control that i can easily see and have it where i want it.

The disadvantage of having a DT92e is the extra cost.

Comment

• fourtears
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Dec 2010

Did you find anyone selling dt92e without the relay box? I have seen it with the relay box for £65 ish I think so maybe that is cheaper than the dt92e would usually be on it's own anyway.

Comment

• nappyshock
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Sep 2010

No i didn't find them sold separately, i picked up some cheaper ones on ebay. You can setup and get your system working using just the HR80's if money is tight and fit the DT92e's later when you can afford it.

Comment

Working...
                              X