• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mustee75
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2010

Persist fall in pressure for my combi boiler

I would appreciate greatly if anyone can help me with a solution to this problem. (ie, what i need to do to get this resolved)

I have a brand new boiler (worcester bosch, greenstar) installed about 4years ago in my property. It has been working fine, however, the pressure has been going down and it's now almost to zero. Anytime it goes down, i try to bring it up by pumping some water into it by opening the vulve underneath the boiler. When i realease the water into the boiler, the pressure comes back to normal but within some few hours the pressure drops again. Can anyone help me resolve this please? Thanks in advance
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Pressure drops like that may mean a leak somewhere.
    First of all, check that all the radiator valves are fully open. Then top the pressure up to about 1.5 Bar. Now go round all rads feeling and looking for a leak.
    Where is your pressure release valve, as this may be stuck slightly open and leaking.
    If no leaks, top the system up again and bleed all the rads. Once bled you will need to top up again. Good luck.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mustee75
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2010

Re: Persistant fall in pressure - Thank you

Thank you so much. I will try as advised. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Geps
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2010

We had something like this at work...and it was caused by using the central heating when not using the tap water.

I can't remember how we fixed it but might be of help?

Comment

• Lhasadog
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2013

I have the same problem with my 4 yr old 27cdi. The pressure drops almost to zero in a day or two and I keep topping it up. The radiators are ok but there is water dripping from the boiler which is in the kitchen. My installer who also does the yearly check has now moved 60 miles away to Brum. Help!!

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Sounds like a faulty pressure relief valve in the boiler.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Lhasadog
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by toscal View Post
              Sounds like a faulty pressure relief valve in the boiler.
              Thanks. Will look into that.

Comment

• Patrocks
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2013

It might be worth looking at your expansion vessel as well.

To check pressure relief valve put a bottle under where it discharges outside.If it fills up that is where the water is going.

To check the vessel press the inflation valve, looks like a bike tyre valve, if water comes out you have a tear in it.

Comment

• Lhasadog
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Patrocks View Post
                  It might be worth looking at your expansion vessel as well.

To check pressure relief valve put a bottle under where it discharges outside.If it fills up that is where the water is going.

To check the vessel press the inflation valve, looks like a bike tyre valve, if water comes out you have a tear in it.
                  I have brought the pressure back up to about 1bar when cold and checked for air in system a number of times and until a few days ago the pressure soon dropped again. About a cupful of water came from the 27cdi somewhere above the refill valve. However, in the last week it seems to have righted itself. Pressure relief valve? Thanks 4 your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X