Automating our boiler; a beginner's query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kris2lee
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    ISTM, a combination of Idratek + xAP + Netiom-xAP might resolve nearly all those issues ...
    Now it really depends on the location but where I live, we are in the situation where I can tell to the most of the electrician that I want a KNX system and they know what I mean.

Another side of the story is when you want to sell your property. With the KNX I can tell to the potential buyers that this is the KNX system, it is a standard and every electrician knows it, it's cool and don't worry about it.

I was also tempted to take the similar direction but these two points did hold me on the ground.

I'm not saying that this is the only way. You just have to understand what you are doing.

we very nearly went for EIB/KNX - good quality, expensive, but not as smart as Idratek, or as well supported ...
    I do not know when you did check it but you actually can include smarts into the KNX too. There are several options from high end to the DIY but I'm not really familiar with this yet.

I did order my electricity project from the company that is specialized in the KNX. They design them and build them. Well, that is the third side of the story.

Comment

• kris2lee
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2010

ISTM, a combination of Idratek + xAP + Netiom-xAP might resolve nearly all those issues ...
      I'm actually really sorry that Idratek invented it's own communication protocol instead of using existing standard. It really looks like their idea could work really well in the KNX system.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

excellent points (!) ... it may be that these systems (EIB/KNX, C-Bus, Idratek) were initiated at about the same time - they have lots in-common, in basic objectives, but also a lot to distinguish them, especially in how ambitiously they set their sights ... AIUI, KNX is quite popular in Germany & Eastern Europe, but it's unusual in the UK - not sure why. 'wonder what they think / do in France, and Benelux, Scandinavia ?
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• kris2lee
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2010

KNX is quite popular in Germany & Eastern Europe, but it's unusual in the UK - not sure why. 'wonder what they think / do in France, and Benelux, Scandinavia ?
          I can only guess from my readings and local experience so I actually do not have any statistics.

Hager is probably pushing the KNX a bit in the France so there probably is something happening. There exist quite usable information in French and I found also couple of blogs about some KNX installation progress. So something is happening but because I'm not any good in French I have not checked it latelly.

From my own experience in Luxembourg I can tell that every electrician I talked about the KNX did know it and were willing to install it. From these talks I know that it is considered quite expensive (compared to the traditional direct wiring).

There is probably not much happening in this direction in Netherlands. At least nothing visible on the Internets. There exists greate home automation forum (that is mostly in English btw) but it is more about mixing and matching different (cheap) stuff together with Homeseer and without it (http://www.domoticaforum.eu/).

There is certanly something going on in Belgium (there is one user forum (but with not much activity) and several online shops that sell KNX stuff) but again I have not much information about it.

Again I have no idea what is happening in the public sector.

But it is really intresting question so please everyone who reads it and has some clues, please let others also know.

Comment

• kris2lee
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2010

it may be that these systems (EIB/KNX, C-Bus, Idratek) were initiated at about the same time - they have lots in-common, in basic objectives, but also a lot to distinguish them, especially in how ambitiously they set their sights.
            I do not know much about the Idratek history but the first post here is from 2007. Wayback machine shows that there is something on Idratek site from 2003. I belive that KNX momentum was a bit different back then even when it had existed quite a lot time then.

I think that this is actually a good question to the Idratek people that what were their considerations. Did they consider something else and when they did then why did they choose to create their own. Maybe they can give little insight into this matter.

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kris2lee View Post
              I'm actually really sorry that Idratek invented it's own communication protocol instead of using existing standard. It really looks like their idea could work really well in the KNX system.
              The IDRANet protocol was developed (roots at Newcastle University, UK) with full knowledge of the EIB protocol as well as others that existed at the time, because these were considered a bit limited for the required purposes. It is also true that at a Reflex level the IDRATEK system can be considered similar in some respects to the likes of EIB/KNX and the more limited C-bus. Though at that level you can program it for free using the free Cortex license. This includes an auto reflex programming utility which tries to re-create some of the basic controls at Reflex level based on the more user friendly connectivity entered at a floorplan level. Very handy when you may have 150 lights to control ..

But really the whole ethos behind the IDRATEK system is wide scale integrated automation, not just control. This distinction is very important. So, looking at earlier posts, whilst its true that we are essentialy a single source for the underlying technology its not that you are comparing like for like. An IDRATEK system is not really comparable to an EIB/KNX system nor any other that I'm aware of. So its more a case of whether you want the level and style of functionality provided by an IDRATEK system or not.

You are tied in to one extent or another whatever technology you choose. Even though you may have many vendors they may be all producing variations of the same limited functions. There are also sometimes other not so obvious tie ins. As mentioned for example, KNX systems require a good level of understanding to perform the programming and the tools are expensive, so a qualified installer is often required even to change minor things at a later point. Wider ranging functionality at present requires adding on other systems in a not very integrated manner. And I think it may not be so easy to add external hardware in a more than simplistic manner and to dedicated modules.

On the other hand an IDRATEK system already includes system wide integrated functions which automatically provide complex behavioural logic without the user needing to program this in. It already contains very sophisticated heating/cooling, security, lighting, direct remote access (without some kind of subscription...), data logging, and much more all in one structure, and also includes intercom and real time spoken information features. Also you can add in your choice of external hardware quite easily in quite a few areas. For example if you want to use an off the shelf PIR or your own wall switches these can be connected to any digital inputs on any module that has them (and since many modules do, there are usually quite a few spare). But perhaps an example of the conceptual distinction of the system is that once you add this external hardware it is not just considered as a simple digital input which then requires significant programming to integrate. Instead you simply indicate what type of device is connected and it automatically acquires special meaning within the logic. So if you say it is a PIR you will automatically find it available for connection to Room presence logic, to security system logic with all the special functions that a PIR has which say a switch does not. Similarly a push button is given its own set of special characteristics. If you want to change what the push button does at any time then its just a simple menu selection exercise.

One could be really cautious and choose X10 since the cost is low, supported by more than one vendor and it can all be unplugged/changed at any time, why then go for something else? If you understand the differences between X10 and KNX then you may accept the risk and expense of installing KNX, similarly so for IDRATEK or any other system. So I guess its a case of understanding more clearly what different systems provide and weighing up the various factors which no doubt will have different value to different people.

Comment

• wywywywy
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Dec 2005

Do you guys not think the original poster might have been scared away. :O

Anyway, Plavixo, to get you started, have a look at the HomeEasy range. It communicates wirelessly, and is sold in HomeBase (and other places) for very reasonable prices. Specifically you need to use the HE105 Heating Control module. Plus a remote control from its range of course.

To control it remotely and/or to program it, try this product here - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...Your-Home.html It is a USB stick that you can plug into your Windows Server in the loft. It comes with software that allows you to schedule events (on/off). You can also write a simple web page (IT graduates, right? ) to interact with its software to control devices.

After that you might want to expand to its other products. Hope it helps!!

Note - it is only a simple system, but if you are just starting out, it is brilliant!

Comment

• kris2lee
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post
                  Do you guys not think the original poster might have been scared away. :O
                  Noo. I just want to provide the data so he can make an informed decision. There are many products that look quite appealing but do have many draw backs. Usually such you can not think of when you just started playing with the idea to have some home automation.

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post
                  Anyway, Plavixo, to get you started, have a look at the HomeEasy range.
                  This is the easy route. Cheap one too. Almost so cheap that it kind of eliminates some possible problems I mentioned earlier because you can just throw it away and buy something else instead (when you do not invest into the more fancy looking versions). It may also become de facto standard.

But it is a wireless system. It works kind of like the weather stations with the wireless remote thermostat do and not like the WiFi. So they are not secure.

I can think of the following possible problems. When you have armored concrete walls between the rooms then there may be a reliability problems but it likelly is not an issue.

Another issues are more fundamental ones. The ones you can not work around easily.

Because this system does use wireless communication then everyone in the reach can read it (with proper equipment of course but it is not expensive). So this can give out some usable information against you (when you are at home and when not for example).

Another attack vector I can think of is the signal jamming (when it is possible to jam the mobile phone signal then this also should be not an issue (both are using quite similar frequency)).

This makes it possible to make all the transmitters unusable. When you are using the wireless movement sensors then they can not send the status.

When you are using the wireless light switches then you can not turn the lights on.

Well, I do not want to scare people away but I do not think that people should be unaware of these questions.

But this system can be quite fun too. For example it is possible to install a battery powered Arduino with the wireless transmitter next to your place and switch your lights on/off randomly or set the alarm on.

This is quite cool, is'nt it?

Well... More seriously when you take the wireless system then you probably do not install the wires. This means that when you later want to install a wired system then it would be more exepensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X