• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeyjones
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2005

I need help to install Cat 5

I'm currently completely renovating my new (old) house and want to install Cat 5e (two runs) to each room from a central point. The reason I want to do this is simply to be able to access the internet from each room, but to also retain a phone point in each room. I want all sockets to be flush fitted and need to know what size back boxes, what size face plates, and what type of Cat 5e jacks (i think theyre called) I should be buying. Any other useful hints and tips would also be much appreciated. Thanks
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: I need help to install Cat 5

Hi

The wiring guide should give you some ideas...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• joeyjones
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2005

Hi, thanks for your response.

It was this article that initially brought me to the site, and while its very helpful it doesnt actually give any advice on installation of the sockets themselves. Some sites that sell the face plates only sell american style (sized) sockets and others only sell the surface mounted stuff, and this is where I am struggling. I need flush fitting face plates (2 gang) that fit on a single back box, and I would also need to know what depth the back boxes should be.

Thanks

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

There are a multitude of RJ45 sockets available on the market. We put the deepest boxes avasilable everywhere in our house (47mm). THis was easy as it was a new build.

There are several "low profile" sockets available which fit in more normal, shallower boxes. I got one from www.maplin.co.uk There are also conventional and modular offering from all the usual suspects like MK and Clipsal.

Your local Electrical Wholesaler should be able to provide you with a decent chose.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• joeyjones
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2005

I didn't realise they were available from the likes of maplin. Just checked their website and they have a good few to choose from, resonably priced too (sounds like Im on commission here).

Thanks very much for your help

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Let us know how you get on. Take some pics too if you get a chance, always nice to see other peoples installation

Thanks

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• joeyjones
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jan 2005

Will do, however Im not due to start the installation untill the end of this month so you would have to wait until then.

Thanks

Comment

• Jakey
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Feb 2005

As minimum I would use 25mm deep boxes, also spend the extra £2 to get a pack of rubber gromments (usually black - you'll wnat the 20mm diameter ones) use these where you knock the zinc coins out of the back box as it prevents chaffing.

At the hub end, I have used a large adaptable PVC box from an electrical wholesaler (you can get most of the kit in these places and most take credit cards and switch or even cash!) A large 400mm x 300mm x 200mm box will accomodate a 12 way patch panel and is approx £20. Use "stuffing glands" at the hub where the cat5 cable enters the box. These are cheap (approx 60p each) and provide a very good seal and due the way they grip the cable they act as a strain releif just in case it is ever accidentlly pulled too hard.

One thing to consider is if your going to sling the cable under the floor etc the shieled type is better. Also this allows the use of KVM extenders and VGA sinal to be put down a CAT5 line. The shield is needed in addition to the cores.

Hope this helps. Also try ebay for a router, I picked up a Mentor four port one for £3 and it runs 4 PC's on a 1MB Ntl connection no problem. Manual is a little hard to follow due to translation from chinese etc, but can be worked out. You can also get some good RJ45 sockets on ebay for fair prices too!

Comment

• vex
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2005

IMO you should go for the mid piont between the 47 and 25mm boxes.

47mm can be a bit deep, ideal if you have got lots of cable to hide, but depending on the thickness of your walls they could be to deep. The only other time 47mm is a must is with multi room audio systems and some light dimmers and they do need that extra depth.

36mm should be fine.

You should also be able to easily find a single gang frame to take both your BT and RJ45 socket. Either in Euro style 50x25mm modules or Mosaic 45x22.5mm modules.
                  www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
                  NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• mrscalex
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jul 2005

Replying to an old post I know but this footnote if you like might help someone searching the archive.

The most number of modules you can fit in a 2-gang box is 4. The cabling for 4 modules is easily accomodated in a 25mm box. This includes leaving more than adequate length to pull the modules well clear of the wall to work on and for cutting back and reterminating later (in the unlikely event of needing to do so).

If Cat5 is all you are terminating onto the faceplate I can't think why you may want to fit a deeper box. If you have to chiesel out breeze block to take the box it's bl**dy hard work so you don't want a deeper box than you really need.

TLC Direct (various regional stores) is a great place for getting common cabling components. Very cheap - 1.50 GBP +VAT for a module versus 4.50 GBP at Maplin!

This is a great mail order place, also cheap and very fast:

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                      Founder
                      • Jan 2004

Thanks for the info mrscalex.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Dinarius
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Jul 2005

I am about the have a three bed semi rewired.

I want computer points in most rooms for which I am going to get CAT 5.

I would also like FM radio in each room. Over here (Dublin) we get FM radio through our cable TV. It's the only way to get perfect BBC Radio 4 without using the internet connection. In any case, I don't want to listen via computer in the bedroom.

Can the CAT 5 be used for this or do I have to have the TV coax in each room?

Please excuse my ignorance! These are uncharted waters for me! ;¬)

Thanks.

D.

Comment

• AutomatedOutlet
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Aug 2004

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question. I was just looking at those wall plates and connectors listed. I'm curious though why you wouldn't go for the US standard plates at less than 1/2 the price. Since we are talking about terminating Cat5, they should work fine.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Martin
                          Martin Custer
                          Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
                          www.AutomatedOutlet.com

Comment

• vex
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Feb 2005

Dinarius,

CAT5e certianly has the frequency range to pass the full FM band, however there would be a question over the balancing needed between the Coax and the Cat5e.

I will pose the question to some 'friends'

Chris

Originally posted by Dinarius
                            I am about the have a three bed semi rewired.

I want computer points in most rooms for which I am going to get CAT 5.

I would also like FM radio in each room. Over here (Dublin) we get FM radio through our cable TV. It's the only way to get perfect BBC Radio 4 without using the internet connection. In any case, I don't want to listen via computer in the bedroom.

Can the CAT 5 be used for this or do I have to have the TV coax in each room?

Please excuse my ignorance! These are uncharted waters for me! ;¬)

Thanks.

D.
                            www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
                            NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Dinarius
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jul 2005

Vex,

Many thanks for asking. It might be just as easy for me to get a few coax sockets put around the house while he's at it. But, if the CAT5 will do the job........!

Thanks again.

D

Comment

Working...
                              X