• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freedom
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2011

Freedom Open Source home Automation

Freedomotic is an open source building automation software (eg. home automation) distributed under GPL2 license, written in Java. The project aims to develope an open source extensible framework for intelligentbuilding automation.

Freedomotic can actually interact with X10 devices, Android, Arduino and much more. Freedomotic is a peer-to-peer distrubuted building automation framework with automatic load balancing; it can be deployed on a network of low-cost hardware nodes like BeagleBoard (creating a domotics VPN) or on a single standard PC.

If you are a professional developer or interested in do it yourself (DIY) building automation, Freedomotic can help to easely create your own building automation system without starting from scratch

Freedomotic Building Automation Project is hosted on GoogleCode:

Freedomotic is working in progress and it's looking for contributors and developers

Join to our community: http://freedomotic.com
    Last edited by freedom; 4 February 2012, 04:49 PM.
  • Scribbler
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2011

Really interested in this. I've had a quick look, however, and can't seem to find any tutorials regarding setting up a new environment (ie. not the DISI Domotics APplication Lab)?

I may be missing something, I'll try again when at home when I have all my stuff connected
    Add some extra sophistication to your wedding by booking a string quartet from Sounds Ideal!
    Victoria Wharf Cardiff

Comment

• freedom
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2011

Hi! In the next release we'll introduce a gui to set your own environment.
      tay tuned.

Comment

• freedom
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2011

New Freedomotic version released

The version 5.0 was released.
        Please visit http://freedomotic.com for more details.

Freedomotic is an open source building and home automation software written in Java.

The aim of the project is to build a data mashup oriented building automation framework for seamless integration of building and home automation technologies, mobile, web and social networks. Freedomotic leverages modern distributed computing architectures, and provides crosslanguage APIs for extension.
        How it works

Freedomotic supports popular building automation technologies like BTicino OpenWebNet, KNX, Modbus RTU, X10 as well as custom automation projects using Arduino devices, do it yourself (DIY) boards, third party Android frontends, text to speech (TTS) engines, motion detection using IP cameras, social networks integration like Twitter, and much more... All this features are deliverd as downloadable plugins from our marketplace.

WHO CAN BE INTERESTED
        Private Users: Tired of incompatible, expensive automation technologies and remotes everywhere? Learn why automate your home with freedomotic.

Business Users: Museums, shops, offices,...? Learn how to create innovative services for your customers with freedomotic.

Developers & Organizations: Freedomotic can be easily extended with cross-language plugins. If you want to develop a plugin for an automation protocol, integrate your own "do it yourself" Arduino board or create a custom frontend for Android with your brand take a look here.

WHERE CAN IT RUN
        Freedomotic can run on any OS with Java support (Linux, Windows, Mac, …). It can be deployed on a single standard PC, a PCs network, a network of embedded devices like BeagleBoard to create a set-top-box, or a mixture of the previous.

WHEN WILL BE AVAILABLE
        Freedomotic is actually a working beta but is growing rapidly with the suppport of our community. We are searching for contributors and you can contribute in many way, development or not, let us know writing to mauro@freedomotic.com

Comment

• automate-me
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2011

Google and Apple trying to break into Home Automation and AV - I can't make my mind up if it's a good thing or not... :-s
          My views are my own
          Works for Home Cinema UK, TV Stands, AV Candy.

Comment

• freedom
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2011

Hi to all
            our developer Gabriel has released a new version of the Android client for Freedomotic.

At this moment the client should work on 2.2+ android clients, tablets or smartphones (tested on a ics tablet and on a 2.3.5 smartphone Galaxy S).

An external broker with the stomp endpoint configured must be used. At this moment the included broker doesn't configure correctly the stomp.

The floorplan view at this moment is in development, it allows pitch and zoom, move, and select an object. However because the ongoing change of the imageProvider on Freedomotic, some images doesn't show (black rectangle). The use of the images is a problem at this moment of the restapi as it is not capable of serve it correctly.

Also, when an object is selected on the floorplant on a tablet (land mode) at this moment it shows the object data on almost all the screen, it will be changed. However ideas about how to use the floorplan on tablets, flows or mockups are welcome

Again, the "theme" of the app is not decided jet, so again, ideas At this moment the client is capable of select objects, change objects values, and it auto-refresh changes from the bus.

REMEMBER: THIS IS A PRELIMINARY VERSION

Take a look at http://code.google.com/p/freedomotic-android-client/

We need your help for graphics, suggestions, coding and so on.
            Stay tuned!

Comment

• freedom
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2011

Hello to all,
              we are very glad to announce the poll for the NEW FREEDOMOTIC LOGO!!!

Ivan (http://www.ivanarpon.es/) have sent a huge set of great professional looking logos and choose one it's a very hard task. For this we have created an open poll on the website at this address

The poll will last one week, 1 vote per account, you must be logged in to vote.
              You are encourged to leave comments in the poll page.

So let you ear your voice and vote for your favorite!!

Ear you soon,
              The Freedomotic Team

Comment

• freedom
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2011

Hello,
                for some versions we want to focus our own work on the optimization of the framework features we already have.

We've uploaded a new daily build if you want to try a first draft of the optimization work (http://code.google.com/p/freedomotic...ld-5.2.397.zip).
                Changelog:
                MOST NOTABLE CHANGE: created a new example environment with static background and topology layer over it
                created new timed triggers that starts on freedomotic startup (to stop/restart double click on clock plugin)
                stomp connnector now works in embedded broker also from LAN
                now messages are serialized to XML only when they leave the local JVM (eg: delivered to STOMP clients) otherwise they are dispatched at the same speed as java method calls
                rebuild of rest plugin. To test it point your browser to http://localhost:8111/v1/environment/
                changed the snap to guide from 25cm to 5cm in environment editing mode
                only valid objects are displayed in the list of available objects (click the combobox over the plugin list and choose "Object")
                ported light object class to the latest framework version. Light on the map now are "Light" no "ElectricDevice" so you can dimm them.
                Also freedom.exe and the related start-freedom.sh are not in this NOT FEATURED version so to start it you have to go to terminal/cmd and type

java -jar freedomotic.jar

you can try with double click on freedomotic.jar file first but it can fail so you are warned
                Regards

SOME SCREENSHOTS

Last edited by freedom; 5 May 2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• freedom
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2011

Hi to all!
                  We have released the first prototype of Freedomotic GWT client. Now it has very few features but it's growing.
                  This is a web application to be deployed on the webserver plugin

-JDK must be 1.6
                  -You need the last dailybuild of freedomotic, or a git clone. (at least git sha >1442175 ). Download from http://code.google.com/p/freedomotic/downloads/list
                  -The RestApi plugin must be installed (it is already included on the dailybuild or compile it from code, the marketplace version would not work)
                  -The webserver plugin must be installed (it is already included on the dailybuild)
                  -The war file must be extracted and copied to the folder es.gpulido.webserver/data/webapps/gwt_client/ on the webserver plugin

It uses websockets, so a chrome browser, firefox>=11 or Iexplorer>=10 is needed (or any browser that implements the websockets feature)
                  We are testing the client on different platforms so we need your help.
                  Please test it and reports some info as

-operating system (version, service pack for windows)
                  -browser (version number)
                  -java (version)

FOR DEVELOPERS: the source code is available at http://code.google.com/p/freedomotic...clients%2Ffree...

There is a lot of work to do so if you want to contribute please contact us.
                  Thanks

Comment

• freedom
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2011

Hi to all,
                    the project is growing but we need any contribute (in particular developers) because there is a lot of work to do.
                    If you want more details on the framework architecture please download this brief whitepaper http://freedomotic.googlecode.com/fi...paper-v1.5.pdf
                    Thanks
                    freedomotic.com

Comment

• freedom
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2011

Hi to all,
                      after a long period of braimstorming, work, testing the new Freedomotic version is ready. For the next releases we introduce a new codename based on famous books, movies and cartoons robots.
                      The first is Andrew, the robot of the Book "Bicentennial Man" from Isaac Asimov which inspired a film with the same name featured by Robin Williams. (to learn more en.wikipedia.org/.../The_Bicentennial_Man)
                      Thanks to the development team for its effort and to users that have contributed with their suggestions, testing, reporting.
                      There is a lot of work to do, many many features for the next release.
                      We need the help of all so join our community and contribute to the discussion.

Download download Andrew from https://freedomotic.googlecode.com/f...otic-5.4.0.zip
                      Download the changelog version from https://freedomotic.googlecode.com/f....4_version.pdf

Stay tuned!
                      Freedomotic Team

Comment

• freedom
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Apr 2011

Our page on Freecode.com https://freecode.com/projects/freedomotic

Comment

• MrFluffy
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Aug 2005

I'll give it a try!
                          I just ordered a Denkovi 8 Relay Module for Temperature Measurement LM35DZ that I am going to try and program some thermostat logic into direct as a embedded controller for controlling my underfloor heating system, and I also ordered a Denkovi I/O Relay Module (Board), that I'm going to wire into my lighting circuits.
                          I did wire cat5 into a box next to the three lighting switching points in my house as any sort of RF technology is a nightmare due to local conditions, so I can put the denkovi relay into that and have the digital inputs direct and replace the lightswitches with momentary switches hooked onto the relay controllers too (they have digital io ports built in) and hopefully keep direct control local to the switching hardware, and send it power from the base patch panel using poe and talk to them via ethernet. Then I can use freedomotic as the middlewear glue to monitor lighting switch changes for event triggers, and run a java frontend instance and a webserver instance on my existing home automation/mythtv server. Then we can use our android phones or your android frontend.apk to control the lighting, in addition to the existing switch circuitry. The hardwired switches native to that relay controller should prevent the latency we saw with x10 stuff but still keep it addressable/status available to the wider home automation controller. My wife really likes switches that work 100%.

This is sort of what I wanted to do with idratek, but I refuse to run cortex or a xp server to control it and theres no api specs, so rolling my own makes more sense.

I am a unix engineer by trade, with some perl, c, assembler and other language experience and have worked in network security and software testing projects, but no java. So hopefully some good experience to contribute too.

I have the java package build running on my gentoo linux server as we speak and am trying to configure it, maybe I'll be contributing a bug report or two later on (the background image for the gui doesnt render jpg's, but its fine with .png images). Looking forward to developments!

Comment

• MrFluffy
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Aug 2005

My Denkovi DAEneIP2 8 port relay has turned up, and I have the denkovi module plugged into freedomotic, although I had to use the unstable development branch as the daenet driver isnt in the current release yet (5.4.x is stable, and I'm using 5.5.x checked out of the git repository). I've managed to compile the framework + plugins myself and get it running, and I'm no java expert. I'm buildng and running it under linux. If you just want to stick to the releases, its a matter of downloading the framework and starting it up.

I have the denkovi relay board sat on the end of a length of cat5e cable with power being injected into the cable to simulate how I'm going to use it in my install, and the board is ultra stable. I've also got the freedomotic framework running and I can switch the relays with a graphical representation of my house, and using the denkovi's inbuilt webserver, if I change a relay, the freedomotic framework picks up the changes via snmp and updates the graphical front end. Ive been tinkering with some of the other things and have it announcing via a speech module that certain lights have been turned on etc. Of course theres some glue you can use to put some intelligence into objects, eg if the front door switch is triggered open, turn on the porch light, and Ive been testing them. Along with graphical timers, say letting you switch lights on and off at preset times of the day. You can add virtual objects, I have a virtual light switch defined as the house master switch, whcih can turn every real light on and off with a single click, the equivalent of x10's all lights off command that my wife actually misses (the only thing we do miss about x10 it seems).

The automation triggers use natural language statements to define them. For eg, I have on the properties of the front door, under the automations section "when front door becomes open" "switch kitchen light on" "switch porch light on".
                            What is currently missing is some chained logic for intelligence, ie if the front door opens AND its night time, switch on the porch light, but I saw yesterday that is currently under development, so if and then else logic will be useable.

I've also tried the webserver frontend to freedomotic, and that works good for me too. There is a android client but it again relies on the 5.5 development branch. And being open, and pluggable, there is a fair amount of front and backends under development. I'm tinkering tonight with the twitter output, so I can get it to tweet me when the temperature of my wood furnace drops below a certain level, meaning I have to go fill the firebox with wood again

Whats to be noted right now, is this is a framework in beta heavily being worked on and under development, I check out the git repository changes every day and theres new fixes or features being added. If you wanted to use it in a stable state you would be best sticking to the formal releases and perhaps let it mature a little bit, but I want to play with the new bells and whistles.

But, in summary, its got a a LOT of potential as a middleware glue to hold lots of other technologies together in one consolidated non proprietory binding glue.

Now I'm going to start adding some digital inputs to represent light switches to my relay board, as outlined in the previous post. When and only when it all models without a hitch, I'll start to intergrate it into my house proper.

If it doesnt come accross, I'm quite excited, getting enthusiastic about the possibilities of a fully automated home again.

Comment

• MrFluffy
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Aug 2005

Ive started my install, so far just a single light under control while I get the details sorted.
                              Some pictures of what I have so far, which is a raspberry pi as the home automation server, and a denkovi ethernet relay and data aquisition board.

I added a rain sensor last night too, so the framework can tell me when it starts raining (get the dog/washing in) or stops.

Baby steps, but the heating controller is going in this weekend, its currently in the ufh manifold closet and network accessible but I need to connect the relays to the zone valves and the inputs to the thermo sensors in the floor.

All good progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X