Thread: Raspberry Pi nears launch

Hybrid View

Default Raspberry Pi nears launch

I have mentioned these things in a post or two. Anyway they are almost a reality now. The first batch have come off the production line and are undergoing testing. The board is about credit card size.
    I think they could find a use as automation controllers, especially when coupled with the GPIO board being developed, and the price is very low. At 16 pounds for the Model A and 22 pounds for the Model B. Main difference between the 2 models is that the B will have a network socket and more memory.
    For more news and info follow these links:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16316439
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/
    Last edited by toscal; 23rd December 2011 at 04:12 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu

Automated Home Sr Member MichaelD's Avatar

Looks very interesting, and was good to follow the links through to the BBC Micro, that was such an amazing machine for many years, inspiring so many successful businesses in the UK, and directly leading to the ARM chip that is now in every smartphone across the world.

Lets hope that the Raspberry Pi is as influential

Automated Home Jr Member

Aching to get my hands on one or two of these...

Want to install linux and hopefully use as Mythtv frontends, or install XMBC or a similar upnp player and then strap to the back of TVs.

Given the cost and size advantages of these, they could be used for all sorts.

I really think that this device will be massive in 2012, there is such a buzz around it

Apparently the XBMC development team is working on a port of XBMC media center software to Broadcom BCM2835 SoC-based devices using the Raspberry Pi board as its reference platform (some of the developers have beta boards for testing). From reading various forums it seems the next version of XBMC (version 11.0 Eden) will work on the PI. And with a cheap price tag its now possible to have cheap multi-media players around the house.
    Two of these beta boards is up for sale on ebay, current price is over 800 pounds. The other board is over 1000 pounds.
    www.casatech.eu

As an update it looks like there is going to be an XBMC version for the pi coming soon called Raspbmc.
    Now this means a 22 pound media center. Add a decent LCD screen say about 250 pounds and voilą a decent media center for under 300 quid.
    Here's another link showing XMBC actually working on an rPi
    Last edited by toscal; 2nd February 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    www.casatech.eu

Automated Home Lurker

Default Android

Does anyone know if Android can run on one of these? I'd think so, given the spec being similar to a low end mobile......