Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

My idea for them is to use at least one as a cheap XBMC box.
    Then another one for maybe heating control, but this will have to wait until the GPIO board becomes available.
    Also been looking at programming options and narrowed it down to Gambas and or Visual TCL. At least with TCL its easy to get it to run on any platform.

I agree with what the Raspberry Pi foundation are trying to do. As I have noticed a complete lack of decent computer skills from many people who supposedly did technical degrees.
    On my HND electronics course we actually had to design and build the computer from scratch, this included design the PCB as well, then get it to run programs. Out of the 25 in the class mine and four others worked first time.
    Also I guess the computers available at the time didn't have much in the way of off the shelf software. So you had to write your own. I have written several games for the commodore PET one was quite a hit at school.
    Even the BBC micro encouraged tinkering, I remember tinkering around with the analogue port on it and producing eye catching sound to graphics type displays.
    But I do feel that the main market will be from us hobbyists rather than schools. Unless they can come up with a complete training package for schools.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• gazza_d
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2011

Yesterday was definately not contrived. I was trying to get one immeadiatley after the announcement and the twitter traffic alone was huge. I think the demand was way way more than anyone expected. Especially for what is currently an uncased geek/developer toy even if it is cheap. Has anyone here managed to get one one a quick delivery? Farnell are currently reported as quoting end of April for delivery of the next batch.

I want to get one at least for XMBC or openelec. Once I've proved it, then one for each TV! Would like to use them as Mythtv frontends ideally, but officially this has been knocked down on the mythtv mailing lists due to the low amount of memory. Having said that I have ran the frontend on my Nokia N900 and it was fine with a "basic" theme, so I'll be trying it out with the "mythcenter" theme.

Gonna find more uses for them too.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

You may want to read this
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

to ask an obvious question, looks like people see them as complementary :

Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• achapman
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2006

I've just seen a demo of one. I was very impressed and in my opinion it is a game changing device.

On paper it is easy to think it is just a super Arduino, Beagleboard or whatever, but when you see one working you will change your mind.

This will sell in millions, it will go into all UK schools and the next generation of hackers and IT entrepreneurs will use this. Just like the BBC micro and consoles spawned a generation of UK games programmers this will influence a new wave of developers.

This is the first board computer with everything you need to act as a home automation controller included. It uses so little electricity you could run it on battery for days (so immune to power cuts). You can't brick it as all the software is on SD card. It is network enabled. It has amazing graphics for such a cheap device and indeed it is so cheap you can replace it without noticing the cost. It is dead easy to interface, has GPIO, camera and lcd interfaces(can potentially use cheap mobile phone screens) and usb all as standard (or simple add-ons). Because everything is on SD card, backups are completely straight forward too.

On top of this it is open architecture. This means no startup costs for developers, no licencing fees. It will generate a massive amount of add-on hardware, clone boards and free software and this has already started.

Most HA controllers are PC's or expensive proprietary boxes - given the choice why get one of these if you can get HA software running on a Raspberry Pi? The Pi is a much better option, resilient and super cheap.

If you are in Home Automation as a supplier you need to evaluate one of these and rethink what it means to the future of your product.
            Last edited by achapman; 9 March 2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

As an automation controller it has huge potential.
              The Domotiga program looks very promising. Especially as its written in the Linux equivalent of Visual Basic.
              Here is an article AH ran on Domotiga
              One idea I have is to use one with my Homevision box. The only problem I see is lack of RS232 port and Linux is a bit particular in USB to RS232 interfaces.
              I think it will be a game changer in many areas. After all why buy one of those so called embedded computer devices costing 3 or 4 times a PI. Obviously there will still be applications where the embedded computer will be needed.
              Last edited by toscal; 10 March 2012, 10:09 PM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Geps
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2010

I wonder if the GPIO header could be used as a pseudo TTL RS232 port?....

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Just posted that question on the R-Pi forums so we shall see.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Someone has designed an RS232 breakout board for the PI.
                    This is great news for me.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

CE-testing delays :

Confusion over how much testing the Raspberry Pi computer must undergo has caused fresh delivery delays.
                      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• neilhooper
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Oct 2008

Posted earlier today, a reason why they're not being shipped yet.

- Neil

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

I think this is the bureaucrats interfering here. As you can quite easily send out the board with a statement of possible conformity or non-conformity can't remember the exact terms. It been a long time since I looked into CE certification.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

Yippee they are finally here

Yes the first Pi's are being delivered today. Apparently the first ones are going to some school children in Leeds.
                            Just need to wait for RS to send me the email saying I can now purchase one.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                              • Oct 2005

Just ordered my Pi so T-minus 3 weeks and counting.
                              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                                Founder
                                • Jan 2004

<AOL Mode>Me too. </AOL Mode>

M.
                                Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                                www.twitter.com/ottomate
                                www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment