X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Raspberry Pi nears launch

I have mentioned these things in a post or two. Anyway they are almost a reality now. The first batch have come off the production line and are undergoing testing. The board is about credit card size.
    I think they could find a use as automation controllers, especially when coupled with the GPIO board being developed, and the price is very low. At 16 pounds for the Model A and 22 pounds for the Model B. Main difference between the 2 models is that the B will have a network socket and more memory.
    For more news and info follow these links:
    The eagerly anticipated Raspberry Pi home computer is very close to going into full scale production.

We are a charity with the mission to enable young people to realise their full potential through the power of computing and digital technologies.
    Last edited by toscal; 23 December 2011, 05:12 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

Looks very interesting, and was good to follow the links through to the BBC Micro, that was such an amazing machine for many years, inspiring so many successful businesses in the UK, and directly leading to the ARM chip that is now in every smartphone across the world.

Lets hope that the Raspberry Pi is as influential

Comment

• gazza_d
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2011

Aching to get my hands on one or two of these...

Want to install linux and hopefully use as Mythtv frontends, or install XMBC or a similar upnp player and then strap to the back of TVs.

Given the cost and size advantages of these, they could be used for all sorts.

I really think that this device will be massive in 2012, there is such a buzz around it

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Apparently the XBMC development team is working on a port of XBMC media center software to Broadcom BCM2835 SoC-based devices using the Raspberry Pi board as its reference platform (some of the developers have beta boards for testing). From reading various forums it seems the next version of XBMC (version 11.0 Eden) will work on the PI. And with a cheap price tag its now possible to have cheap multi-media players around the house.
        Two of these beta boards is up for sale on ebay, current price is over 800 pounds. The other board is over 1000 pounds.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

As an update it looks like there is going to be an XBMC version for the pi coming soon called Raspbmc.
          Now this means a 22 pound media center. Add a decent LCD screen say about 250 pounds and voilà a decent media center for under 300 quid.
          Here's another link showing XMBC actually working on an rPi
          Last edited by toscal; 2 February 2012, 01:23 PM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• RMI
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2008

Android

Does anyone know if Android can run on one of these? I'd think so, given the spec being similar to a low end mobile......

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Android will run but as it says in the FAQ on the rPi website
              "If someone in the community can port a version of Android to work with 256MB of RAM, then it’ll run on the Raspberry Pi."
              Oh and as an update to my last quote the Raspbmc website is now live.
              Last edited by toscal; 3 February 2012, 09:31 AM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• RMI
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Feb 2008

Thanks,
                I hadn't read the FAQ before posting - sorry.

Have done some research, and it looks like I need to get hold of a "reference build" kernel specific to the target platform (the PI), before merging it with a split from the correct generic Linux trunk - and then fun & games with Android can commence.

Quite looking forward to my first OS Porting Project! :-)
                Be happy to share info with anyone who's interested, or indeed has any experience with similar projects!

Mark - OK to continue the Porting Project here, or should I start a new thread (or even host it on my blog?)

R.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

I would start a new thread.
                  You may find this document interesting.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• RMI
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Feb 2008

I will.
                    I do - bedtime reading - thanks!

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

On Sale or will be shortly

It seems RS and Farnel are going to handle the distribution of the PI. Just been on the RS site and they are not for sale yet either that or they have sold out. The first batch is only a thousand units, and is also the model B version. Bit reminiscent of the old BBC Model B and Model A computers.
                      Farnell's website seems to be down since this morning.Its still down now and its 14.42 (CET).
                      Apparently no-one at Farnell this morning really knew what a Raspberry-Pi was.I guess they do now. RS don't seem that bothered and you have to register your interest, and can't buy.
                      It seems ship date is anywhere from mid March to early April.
                      Still haven't got one yet.
                      Anyone else had success.
                      Last edited by toscal; 29 February 2012, 02:44 PM.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

Just tried to pre-order one but the Farnell site is definitely down I know have a page saying Site Temporary Unavailable. Maybe later.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                          Founder
                          • Jan 2004

Missed it too, have 'registered interest'. See model A getting 256 now.

M.
                          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                          www.twitter.com/ottomate
                          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

RS apparently haven't sold any, they are just taking details of prospective buyers who will then be sent purchase details. I guess this was an attempt to try and still have a functioning website.
                            There is one on ebay selling for 95 pounds at the moment. Question is if he has none in stock and has pre-ordered them. Why would you pay 70 odd pounds more for one.
                            Lead time now is at least 30 days before the new batch arrives.
                            Last edited by toscal; 29 February 2012, 07:43 PM.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Dec 2007

wonder if the sell-out was contrived, to make a noise ... ?

either way, curious to know what people have in-mind to use them for ...

there are lots of possibilities, of course ...

but as part of / or as an add-on to an existing HA system, then what ... ??
                              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
                              X