• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pete_c
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2011

Yes; very odd.

I can get to the following two links just fine:

But I cannot get to this link (from the Chicago area)

- Pete C
    HW-HAI OPII - X10,UPB,Z-Wave,Russound,1-Wire(X4 networks) OmniTouch screens, Intel & Arm Touchscreens (Android, Wintel & Linux)and OmniStat2
    SW-HSPro - Atom D525/4Gb -W2003SP2 X86 - 18 serial ports via USB (Digi Edgeports & Digi Hub)
    Weather Cumulus - Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

Can you get to

http://www.xapautomation.org at all ?

Maybe it's a local proxy cache issue. What you could do temporarily is try to access via one of the redirect services - often used for anonymous access. I tried http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html and that worked albeit with a floating ad window - there's hundreds of these sevices around...choose your favourite / local one

I also VPN'd into a Chicago based node and tried from there and I can access that protocol page - but that doesn't really prove anything much as your route could be different.

You could run a traceroute if you can be bothered.

K

Comment

• pete_c
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2011

In the MW xapautomation dot org goes to 85.13.235.186 via Comcast ISP. What's your host to IP resolution there Kevin?

Tracert shows it timing out at the second hop here in Romeroville IL 68.86.118.225.

Expected cuz there are and always have been DNS issues locally having to switch when they hiccup in the middle of the day for odd reasons.

But doing a trace route to dub dub dub automatedhome dot com dot times out after luigi, mario, aimless and hex; but I'm writing this entry on the forum.

I do go through my own proxy here and have had some historical buffer issues with the local weather et al.

OK so I modded my smoothie with a DNS overide script. Just for the heck of it. Using Google dns servers. Let's see if that works. Nope.

Smoothie also gives me the option to utilize an external web proxy service; just never thought I needed it.

I've had to utilize my Verizon ISP connection when I couldn't utilize my Comcast. Not an issue. Just odd.
        Last edited by pete_c; 19 April 2012, 05:11 AM.
        - Pete C
        HW-HAI OPII - X10,UPB,Z-Wave,Russound,1-Wire(X4 networks) OmniTouch screens, Intel & Arm Touchscreens (Android, Wintel & Linux)and OmniStat2
        SW-HSPro - Atom D525/4Gb -W2003SP2 X86 - 18 serial ports via USB (Digi Edgeports & Digi Hub)

Comment

• Kevin
          • Jan 2004

Pete - I have checked with our hosting company and there are no blocks on your IP address (assuming it's the same one you used to post the above) and they haven't updated any firewall filters recently. Unsurprisingly there are no accesses from your IP either. Those timeouts are the problem and appear local to you. I haven't had any other reports.

I can't explain the timeouts with traceroute to this forum and yet you still have access, but I'm sure someone else more network savvy could.

K

Comment

• pete_c
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2011

Well too another thing is that I hate sticky macs so have another script that I kind of automate somewhat; but really don't think that would have anything to do with it either.

Let me try from the Verizon ISP in a little bit.

Not an issue Kevin. So has the xAP wiki been updated? I want to take advantage of all of the xAP devices floating about on my network (and xPL stuff).
            Last edited by pete_c; 17 April 2012, 01:51 PM.
            - Pete C

Comment

• Kevin
              • Jan 2004

The weather.data schema that KevinT is introducing is not yet on the Wiki - see the above post by KevinT. I'm assuming he's liaising with James re sorting the account access on the Wiki.

WiKi updates are very sporadic but I have been making some (long) posts on the other xAP forums over the last few weeks... and working on getting out a new application for Apple iOS. More news soon.

K

Comment

• kev_t
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jun 2004

Wiki Access

I seem to be able to get in to the wiki now, don't pretend to understand what has happened there.

An update to the Weather Schema will be made in the next couple of days

KevinT

Comment

• Kevin
                  • Jan 2004

It is an alternative schema ... weather.data as per your previous post that you're adding - not an 'update' to the existing weather.report .. .?

K

Comment

• pete_c
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Feb 2011

I can get to the wiki / weather dot report schema now. Very strange that I couldn't get to it before.

I am going to forward draft weather schema to Steve at Cumulus such that he can see what is happening.
                    - Pete C

Comment

• kev_t
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Jun 2004

Wiki Updated

I have updated the xAP Weather Schema on the wiki

with some minor edits from the post above for clarity

I have attached a couple of example messages which I have been using for testing. To use these open any xAP message in xFx Viewer, select all the existing message, then paste one of these messages in and send

kevinT
                      Attached Files

Comment

• scrapit85
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • May 2011

What about adding Solar Radiation and UV to the xAP Weather Schema.

Comment

• kev_t
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by scrapit85 View Post
                          What about adding Solar Radiation and UV to the xAP Weather Schema.
                          Can you give an example of where you might source this data, the data range and the engineering units?

kevinT

Comment

• scrapit85
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • May 2011

Hi Kevin,

Cumulus already supports these readings from Davis Vantage weather stations and hopefully steve can add this to Cumulus xAP output.

UV Index

Range 0.0 to 16.0

Resolution 0.1

Solar Radiation

Range 0 to 1800

Resolution 1

Units W/m²

Thanks Brian

Comment

• automated@adox.com
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Dec 2012

Solar Radiation would be useful for triggering awnings and blinds to close before the sun will hit a window. xAP is already useful for saving the awnings from strong winds. I use Davis Vantage Pro connected to Weatherdisplay that then sends the weather info via xAP to HomeSeer.

It would be great if Solar Radiation and UV Index could be added to the Schema and then later to Weatherdisplay.

Thanks
                              Lars

Originally posted by scrapit85 View Post
                              Hi Kevin,

Cumulus already supports these readings from Davis Vantage weather stations and hopefully steve can add this to Cumulus xAP output.

UV Index

Range 0.0 to 16.0

Resolution 0.1

Solar Radiation

Range 0 to 1800

Resolution 1

Units W/m²

Thanks Brian
                              Last edited by automated@adox.com; 30 December 2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• pete_c
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Feb 2011

Yup here using UV Index and Solar Radiation numbers to calculate ET (Evaportranspiration) for my sprinkling system (application).

Here lately being a bit redundant taking the numbers from xAP and a text file generated by Cumulus then FTP'd to my internet web site / weather pages.

( so using internal data and external data plus the hardware weather stations (have two set up right now) and using Homeseer.)
                                - Pete C

Comment

Working...
                                X