Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: xAP Weather Schema Schema add change request

Automated Home Jr Member pete_c's Avatar

The efforts put forth are sincerly appreciated. Thank you both for your time and effort.

I would like to apologize if I misstepped in my approach; I didn't really know how or where to post relating to this endeavor.

I've become a Joggler / weather addicted personality afflicted person lately; a bit excesive I guess.

The weather station above WH1080 is the same one of two that I purchased; here (in the US) known by many names; one as the Fine Offset. It is a good price. I purchased my Fine Offset here in the US for $66 USD. Very luckily I also was able to purchase a Davis Vantage Vue for a bit over $150 USD here; way discounted as the best price I could find was about $230 USD for same said Davis. Some person (weather forum administrator) is also making custom serial port devices for the Davis for about $15 such that the device can be connected to the Davis Consoles. It has no buffer; but works very well and it's better than paying $200 for the software/HW when all you need is the hardware. Both of the weather instruments were purchased on Ebay and mostly related to when they were offered; both auctions ended at around 3 AM local time.

Thinking of taking the Joggler/Cumulus/Fine Offset setup to Florida sometime in the next few weeks to see how it does next to the salty water.
    Last edited by pete_c; 25th February 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Default Wiki Access

It would appear that I no longer have access to the wiki, so I can progress this no further

kevint
    Last edited by kev_t; 15th April 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Not something I've changed Kevin - the WiKi has always been a bit of a mystery to me...

K

Something odd here. I cannot get to the protocal definition part of the wiki anymore.

It's OK here for me Pete...

K

Yes; very odd.

I can get to the following two links just fine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAP_Hom...ation_protocol

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...splay.php?f=15

But I cannot get to this link (from the Chicago area)

http://www.xapautomation.org/index.p...col_definition

Can you get to

http://www.xapautomation.org at all ?

Maybe it's a local proxy cache issue. What you could do temporarily is try to access via one of the redirect services - often used for anonymous access. I tried http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html and that worked albeit with a floating ad window - there's hundreds of these sevices around...choose your favourite / local one

I also VPN'd into a Chicago based node and tried from there and I can access that protocol page - but that doesn't really prove anything much as your route could be different.

You could run a traceroute if you can be bothered.

K

In the MW xapautomation dot org goes to 85.13.235.186 via Comcast ISP. What's your host to IP resolution there Kevin?

Tracert shows it timing out at the second hop here in Romeroville IL 68.86.118.225.

Expected cuz there are and always have been DNS issues locally having to switch when they hiccup in the middle of the day for odd reasons.

But doing a trace route to dub dub dub automatedhome dot com dot times out after luigi, mario, aimless and hex; but I'm writing this entry on the forum.

I do go through my own proxy here and have had some historical buffer issues with the local weather et al.

OK so I modded my smoothie with a DNS overide script. Just for the heck of it. Using Google dns servers. Let's see if that works. Nope.

Smoothie also gives me the option to utilize an external web proxy service; just never thought I needed it.

I've had to utilize my Verizon ISP connection when I couldn't utilize my Comcast. Not an issue. Just odd.
    Last edited by pete_c; 19th April 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Pete - I have checked with our hosting company and there are no blocks on your IP address (assuming it's the same one you used to post the above) and they haven't updated any firewall filters recently. Unsurprisingly there are no accesses from your IP either. Those timeouts are the problem and appear local to you. I haven't had any other reports.

I can't explain the timeouts with traceroute to this forum and yet you still have access, but I'm sure someone else more network savvy could.

K

Well too another thing is that I hate sticky macs so have another script that I kind of automate somewhat; but really don't think that would have anything to do with it either.

Let me try from the Verizon ISP in a little bit.

Not an issue Kevin. So has the xAP wiki been updated? I want to take advantage of all of the xAP devices floating about on my network (and xPL stuff).
    Last edited by pete_c; 17th April 2012 at 01:51 PM.