• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhodeon
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2012

AM2G Unit stopped responding

Ok, so here's a weird one. Got a CM15Pro and 2 AM2G units to set uplighters in the lounge. After loads of problems with CM15 finally got all up and running.

Over the last few weeks, occassionally one wouldn't come on when it was supposed to but the other always did. So I staggered the start times. Still occassionally happened although using X10 commander would switch on fine.

This week it has stopped more frequently and occassionally working through X10 Commander or AHP. Now stopped completely. Tried in another socket, fine. Put back in the original socket, doesn't work. This is a dual socket so tried both and doesn't work in either although light works when using the manual override.

Now what is all that about? A change to my household wiring so that socket won't get the signal? That can't be right.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What bulbs do you have in the lamps.
    Have you tried the working one in the problem socket.
    Is there anything else connected to the dual socket.
    Have you tried the CM15 plugged into one of the problem dual sockets and the AMG in the other one.
    Also try swapping the lamps around.
    Check the wiring connections in the sockets sometimes if its loose this can cause problems.
    Have you recently bought anything that you may have plugged in.
    Are you in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.
    Are you sure its called an AMG2 or is it an AM12G.
    Lastly try switching circuits off at the consumer unit. Does this improve the situation.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rhodeon
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2012

They are low energy GU10. Not sure of the relevance of this as even with nothing plugged into the module (which I have tried) you should still hear the click of the module when it turns on or off.

Have you tried the working one in the problem socket.
      Good idea. No joy.

Is there anything else connected to the dual socket.
      I can plug other things into the mains socket which will work. I've reverted back to the electronic timer that I used to use with the light. I've tested with and without other things plugged in.

Have you tried the CM15 plugged into one of the problem dual sockets and the AMG in the other one.
      Not given that a go yet. Will have to try but won't have the extra control as won't be plugged to my PC for remote control.

Don't see the relevance as above.

Check the wiring connections in the sockets sometimes if its loose this can cause problems.
      I'll have to find a convenient time when I can turn the power off

Have you recently bought anything that you may have plugged in.
      Nope.

Are you in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.
      UK

Are you sure its called an AMG2 or is it an AM12G.
      Pretty sure it is called AM2G - see here.

Lastly try switching circuits off at the consumer unit. Does this improve the situation.
      Gonna plead ignorance. Not sure what you mean by this.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

They are low energy GU10. Not sure of the relevance of this as even with nothing plugged into the module (which I have tried) you should still hear the click of the module when it turns on or off.
        Low energy CFL bulbs are notorious for causing problems for X10 modules.

Not given that a go yet. Will have to try but won't have the extra control as won't be plugged to my PC for remote control.
        Why not setup a macro or something and try and trigger this from the X10 commander.

Don't see the relevance as above.
        Since the module on its own doesn't work this isn't that relevant.

Gonna plead ignorance. Not sure what you mean by this.
        Go to the place where the circuit breakers are and try and switch off other ring main circuits and see if this improves things.

Which brings me on to another question, is the socket a spur or a ring main.

When you check the wiring in the sockets, look to see if live and neutral are not swapped.

I take it you have already tried the problem module in a known working location.
        You may want to try and reprogram the module again.
        I have found that when using the CM15 it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. Using an X10commander or similar often gives better results. Also plug them next to each other, that way there is less chance of noise.
        If the reprogramming doesn't work, try another house and unit code.
        Have seen houses that don't like certain codes. But stay clear of the higher house codes, these can even be more problematic.
        Last edited by toscal; 28 February 2012, 09:37 PM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X