• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    a lot of that sounds familiar (!) ...

wiring dual IPDs is quite straight-forward, effectively they link in-parallel, with no 12V between them, IIRC - I could dig-out instructions, but things may have changed since we did ours, so better not ...

how's yours been going, otherwise ?
    Actually in the past Karam also mentioned that dual IPDs might be the same as you described, which if I've gleaned both Karam and yourself correct, is as attached?

Regarding how's it going, I think it's been relatively smooth in terms of the system was pre-configured before onsite commissioning (more or less). The only thing which we need to go back to the drawing board on now is:
    - implementing dual IPDs given we've seen how fatal it is if the IPD goes out and what it'll do to the site
    - better protection for the Idratek cabling. Presently it's within riser cupboards in velcro'ed bundles, however the riser cupboard bundles will be shared with normal CATV, Network Cat5 cables in future, but again having seen how critical Idratek cabling is, I'm now going to go back to the drawing board and put more protective/segregation methods for the cabling.
    - also some ways to go with putting in the reflex programming, make sure we know the system better with regards to interrogation, and health, and generally knowing all the finer points of it all. Also to begin making the system more customised (DFPH menus and the like).

Other than that, it seems pretty robust like you said, and I'm hoping it'll remain that way!
    Attached Files

Comment

• marcuslee
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
      Actually in the past Karam also mentioned that dual IPDs might be the same as you described, which if I've gleaned both Karam and yourself correct, is as attached?
      FYI confirmed from Karam, the diagram is correct, except the 0V wire also needs to be wired.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

then that's exactly what we did - just the 12V not spanned between them ...
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          then that's exactly what we did - just the 12V not spanned between them ...
          Thanks Chris.

Also, may I ask (since it sounds like you're giving your Idratek setup a good work out on the robustness!), what options have you enabled on the IPD (if you're at that stage yet that is)?
          - Auto Associate
          - Automatically fault nodes on spur trip
          - Automatic spur trip recovery?
          - max retries?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

not really got that far yet, but :

Auto Associate - nothing set, yet

Automatically fault nodes on spur trip - no

Automatic spur trip recovery - no

Max retries - set to 1, only because we got fed-up with delays caused when we had spurs down or modules unplugged, etc

Recovery by Spur re-powering - all enabled, 1-hour on all (presumably the default) ...

we're finding there's a lot to get on-top of - we've had plenty of log-jams, but most are now free (!)

indeed, once we've got a handle on something, it always seems very logical & succinct / straightforward ...

most issues are down to us struggling to get into the mindset & terminology !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 15 March 2012, 07:56 PM.
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• marcuslee
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
              FYI confirmed from Karam, the diagram is correct, except the 0V wire also needs to be wired.
              Also to update on this, some info from Karam:

I think it is necessary to connect the the power supply 0V lines with a good conductor because the 0V are effectively connected via the shared 0V and AL lines between the IPDs - but these are thin conductors

Two cores CAT5 is probably ok but if I had a choice I'd use a core of >6A mains flex or somthing similar.

Comment

Working...
              X