Thread: Not Connecting To iServer

Default Not Connecting To iServer

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest xAP Flash and have installed the iServer within the folder.

It shows server started and the IP and port number.

I then run the actual flash file for some reason it still shows clients connected as 0.

I've checked my Firewall and iServer is allowed, I've changed the config file ip and port to match what iServer is saying, and I've granted access to flash for my local files and IP. So to the best of my knowledge I've done everything I need for the two to connect.....have I missed something?

Cheers,

I assume you see no activity at all in iServer when xAPFlash tries to connect eg a logon/password fail or anything ?

You shouldn't have had to change the port for iServer from 9996 in config.xml or xapconfig.xml - what is it now ? You do need to alter the IP and I assume you checked both of these files and in which did you alter it ?

Could you temporarily just disable the firewall and see if that fixes it and if so we can focus on that.

Make sure the following are allowed
    Process Port Type Usage
    iServer & Flash 9996 TCP Used for connection of the Flash application to the iServer
    iServer 3639 UDP xAP Broadcast port
    iServer & Flash 843 TCP Adobe socket policy server
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th March 2012 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks Kevin,

Sorry, I didn't meant I changed the port number - just the IP address. This was changed in both the config.xml and xapconfig.xml files.

Just disabled my firewall and it still hasn't worked - nothing gets logged at all, it's like I haven't ran anything....

I've got xFx message viewer, hub and Cortex all running and the iServer can be seen in the message viewer.

I'm running the default flash file with just the 3 buttons in it. Haven't changed the config files at all apart from the iServer IP. Both iServer and xAP Flash are running on the same (Win 7) PC using IE 9 to run xAP Flash using the most up to date flash plugin.

I'm pretty much XP based here still but I know that iServer does run on Win 7 - except sometimes there are a couple of DLL's you might need to manually install. Did you need to do that ? It will have thrown an error otherwise so I think that bit is OK.

No experience unfortunately with IE9 as it can't be installed on XP. I expect it might have some security modes that might prevent this from running. Is it possible to temporarily relax these and see if it then works ?

I do have Win7 on on machine that is currently purposed for other things but I'll try it out later.. Or maybe (hopefully) someone here who runs this setup could advise ?

ITMT Can you run a command prompt / telnet from the PC that is going to be running xAPFlash / IE9 and see if it can connect to the iServer (change the IP of course) ?

telnet 192.168.1.77 9996

iServer should show <ACL></ACL> if it can and you will see a '1 Logged in' message in the iServer window - although still 0 clients connected. If you get that far you can just close the telnet session and just let me know that bit works OK.

There is a file acl_Joggler.txt in the directory that iServer is in - isn't there .. and likely two files KnownxAP.txt and log.txt - does log.txt show anything ?

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th March 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Hi Kevin,

Using PuTTY I've managed to TELNET in to the iServer fine.

Looked at the logs and it just shows startups, shutdowns and resets - nothing more.....

acl_Joggler.txt is also in the folder.

Cheers,

It must be either the Flash Security Settings, Firewall, IE9 security mode or the XML config file(s) for xAPFlash I think...

I am bringing my Win7 PC up but it had 66 outstanding updates to apply and I have so far spent nearly 4 hours today pushing this along... I hate Windows update as it's always hanging with 'apply manually' required for certain updates ... ho hum... only 10 to go now though... fingers crossed.

K

OK - So a new install of xAPFlash from the link in the first post on Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. .. and it's worked OK..

I had to manually install/register comdlg32.ocx and mswinsck.ocx in order to get iServer to run. Because in my case it's 64bit they had to be installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 rather than c:\Windows\system32.

I then edited xapconfig.xml and config.xml to point to the local machine. I changed nothing but the <ip> in either file.

<config> <!-- config section -->
    <iserver> <!-- iserver section -->
    <port>9996</port> <!-- iserver port -->
    <ip>127.0.0.1</ip> <!-- iserver ip address -->
    <password>Joggler</password> <!-- iserver password -->
    </iserver>
    </config>

Just to check what happens so far I dragged xAPFlash.SWF into the IE9 window and it popped up a message

"Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or Active X controls" with a button to 'Allow Blocked Content' which I clicked.

IE9 loaded only to the 'xAP' black on black screen with a right hand vertical blue slider and there was (as expected) no access attempted to iServer.

I then set the Flash permissions by visiting this web page in IE9

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager04.html

I added the xAPFlash folder to my list of trusted locations and ticked 'Always allow'.

I then reloaded xAPFlash within IE9 - clicked 'Allow Blocked Content' and it now logged onto iServer and displayed the basic xAP Flash beta 5 example page with the four buttons on it...

I had temporarily turned off my firewall (McAfee) but it is back on and it doesn't cause any issues. I am not using Windows inbuilt firewall.

Does anything help here Geps ?

K

And it works!

I did everything you said except used '192.168.0.106' instead of '127.0.0.1' - it's the correct IP and I thought it would allow me to leave the config file alone when I move it onto other devices.

Thanks Kevin

Smile

Strange.. that shouldn't make any difference. I just tried adding the real IP into the two config files and it works OK here - connecting to iServer.

The only thing might be if you have two active network interfaces perhaps on that machine and it's binding to the wrong one ? Wired and WiFi or something...

Anyway - glad you're up and running, and it might help somone else with the same issue.

K

PS Keep backups of your working XML files as you play. xAPFlash is very unforgiving if you edit them incorrectly - and very bad at telling you what's wrong....
    Last edited by Kevin; 25th March 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The only thing might be if you have two active network interfaces perhaps on that machine and it's binding to the wrong one ? Wired and WiFi or something...
    Ah! That explains it then......