Thread: Thermal store

Default Thermal store

Evening all,

Not exactly HA but I'm sure some have some experience with regard to this topic. Our boiler has been on the blink for several years now, plus it is old and inefficient non-condensing. When the time comes I'd like to change over to an unvented system with a thermal store that I can add an solar panel array and wood burning stove in the coming years. The solution would seem to be to include a thermal store as a large efficient buffer than can take heat from a number of sources. Does anyone have any experience and lessons that I should be aware of when deciding which model to buy?

Many thanks

Paul

I was intent on a thermal store, but was convinced otherwise as we are in a v hard water area. The (flat-plate iirc) heat exchangers in thermal stores are apparently notorious for furring, according to my plumber. Also a solar firm were not keen on them as there are 2 heat exchangers between solar panel and hot water, so reduces the temp of water. I had to make a decision to went with unvented DHW cylinder but would be interested in contemporary experiences.

Automated Home Legend

we found plate heat-exchangers aren't the only way - tank-in-tank is another option (ACV do that) & of course solar coils (many have the option) ...

only reason for having a thermal store, is to match supply to demand, when they're out of synch' ...

also, gas is not the only option - all-electric can be less expensive ...

every case is different - need to do the sums !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 2nd May 2012 at 09:11 PM.

tomkent45

http://www.connectheaing.net/Thermal...explained.html

I'm not sure if this helps... but i hope it does

At one time I looked at a solar hot water system. Basically you have a special manifold that has inputs from say solar panels, conventional boiler or combi boiler and perhaps another input from another heat source. The output goes into a well insulated hot water storage tank.
    But I couldn't find anyone with suitable knowledge to help me install it, then there was the cost factor. I am talking about 5 to 6 years ago, so I guess prices will have come down since then, plus there are all sorts of rebates etc now as well.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu