Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Dimming

Automated Home Lurker

Default LED Dimming

First, it looks like this is the first post for nearly a year - Surely it can't be _that_ quiet!?

Re the subject of the post - Same old chestnut. . . . .

Does anyone have any recommendations for LED driver/lamp combinations that will work with CBus?

I have CBus, as a retrofit, throughout the first floor of our house but that was done a few years ago and the fittings are all halogen.

I'm about the redecorate much of the ground floor and an extension and would like to use LED fittings and I want them to be dimmable.

However, from a bit of googling, it would seem to be a minefield of which lamps work with which drivers and much of the experimentation seems to relate to Oz.

So, can anyone recommend any drivers and lamps that are currently available (as of Oct 2012) that will work with CBus?

Many thanks

Regards

Neil

Can't comment on CBus directly. But can CBus output a 0-10V control signal. If it can then you can use a 0-10V RGB Driver/dimmer. This can either be used as an RGB controller when using RGB LED Strips, or as a three channel dimmer for 12V MR16 LED bulbs, or Single colour strips. By using 2 of the channels you could even use the new colour temp change strips (essentially a single strip with both warm and cold white leds). If CBus has a DMX gateway then there are a variety of DMX based LED dimmers/drivers.
    We have had some success with Idratek and our 0-10V dimmers and also our GU10 bulbs on an Idratek dimmer module. So if CBus has a dimming module then the GU10 may work. What I would do is check the min load for the dimmer module for CBus, some systems have a min load, some don't and others can be programmed (like Lutron).
    As a general note on LED dimming, complete 0 to 100% brightness tends not to happen with the bulbs, its more like 20% to 100%. The strips can be 0-100% but this depends on the control software and how the 0-10V signal is implemented.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu

Automated Home Jr Member SiliconPixel's Avatar

Hi Neil,

Did you get anywhere with this? I just posted a nearly identical post to the mailing list looking for similar drivers/LED's!

Cheers,

Paul.

Automated Home Jr Member 21stCenturyElec's Avatar

We work a lot with C-Bus and have a number of LED solutions that work with the leading edge dimmers, we have tested various types, lamps and driver/LED combo.

If your still looking please PM me and I'll see how we can help

Automated Home Sr Member MichaelD's Avatar

I've been looking at the new Philips Master GU10 6W dimming LEDs, it seems like we have finally reached a point where there are dimming downlighters that match the brightness of halogen, without that awful sticking-out lamp look.

The new 6w lamps match the brightness of their previous 7w lamps, but without the bulk, and I believe that the previous 7w lamps were good with C-Bus dimmers. Price is about 20 each, so I thought I'd delay until they are more affordable. There must be a point where savings of electricity exceed savings by waiting whilst the price drops, but it just seems too geeky to work it out.

Would be interested in any experience with these, or any alternatives

MichaelD we have a lamp that works perfectly at a lower price than that with the same output, it will dim 0-100% there is no sudden shut off or flicker, please feel free send a PM with the qty you are thinking about.

Ian

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by 21stCenturyElec View Post
    MichaelD we have a lamp that works perfectly at a lower price than that with the same output, it will dim 0-100% there is no sudden shut off or flicker, please feel free send a PM with the qty you are thinking about.

Ian
    Id be imterested in some of those 0-100% dimmable LED lamps too please 21stCenturyElec - can you post deails please?

Quote Originally Posted by b2gman View Post
    Id be imterested in some of those 0-100% dimmable LED lamps too please 21stCenturyElec - can you post deails please?
    What details did you need? they are a 6W GU10 lamp and come in various Kelvins. What sort of qty are you looking for etc?

Automated Home Lurker

What details did you need? they are a 6W GU10 lamp and come in various Kelvins. What sort of qty are you looking for etc?
    Hi Im looking for around 60 bulbs, and I want a natural looking daylight, not a warm light.

I#d need to buy just one first to test it out as I have yet to find a LED bulb that will work properly with my LD11 X10 dim rail dimmers.

Automated Home Jr Member SiliconPixel's Avatar

I'm just about to order a load of LED lamps from Australia - that work with CBus. They now have a 8W lamp in warm white 3000K - 0-100% dimming, no flicker, jumping in levels etc like some others I've tried.

Maybe you can post a link to your lamps?