X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biccies
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2012

Well I thought I'd come back with an update, just in case anyone is in a similar situation as me.
    We're now in the new house, and I'm still undecided on which solution to go with. I was very close to going with the Comfort system. However, I think I'm going to go for a mixed approach with different components all communicating with each other.
    With this approach I'm hoping to get the best from each solution. For lighting control I plan to mix wave (for sensors) and LightWaveRF.
    It seems there's still not a solution for heating, hopefully before we get to winter again there will be some better control options.
    I'm still looking at controllers, Ive got a few raspberry pis which I current use as HTPCs so may explore options with them. The Vera lite has also caught my eye, has an active developer community and can be extended with an RFXcom USB stick.

Comment

• b_weijenberg
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2006

Domoticz is free and supports also sensors and LightwaveRF and runs on the Raspberry Pi
      Domoticz is a lightweight Home Automation System

Comment

• biccies
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2012

I've kept an eye on Domoticz, looks very promising. Last I looked it wasn't supporting motion sensors. My mind keeps switching between Comfort system and other systems. I'm not usually this indecisive!
        Other systems seem to have more expandability than comfort, but comfort seems rock solid. Comfort also has a higher initial cost than some of the other systems

Comment

• prooney
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2013

For what it's worth I'm about to start my first install, as part of a extension project on an existing home. I've ended up with mostly Z-Wave and some LightWave-RF using a Vera Light and RFXCom stick. Sadly, I only found out about Comfort from this thread after I had ordered the alarm system!
          The learning curve seems pretty steep for Comfort and I don't have the time to commit to learning it as construction starts in a week. Trying to decide on an automation technology has been a mind-numbing ride of comparing different features, none of which completely did what I wanted. However, having a deadline do help you to focus!

Comment

• biccies
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2012

I think its the cost of comfort that's put me off the most, it also doesn't appear to be quite as adaptable (in terms of plugging into other systems) as some of the others. Software wise there's a lot more for the Vera

Comment

Working...
            X