Thread: My Comfort and Velbus System

Default My Comfort and Velbus System

Hi,

Wasnt sure if I had posted this before, thought some might be interested, so here goes, an overview of my swap from x10 to velbus with comfort!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1z...GVJdnY3WGtYamM

Regards,
    Eamon

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

that's a very good write-up ...

and a very interesting read ...

and re-read !

thanks for posting !

Automated Home Jr Member

Eamon,

I found this write-up in another thread. I had my heart set on z-wave partially due to cost implications as well as the flexibility of the Fibaro dimmers. However having read your write-up I'm now wondering if I have made the right decision.

I'm also wondering if I should wire CAT6 to each of the switches just in case. I wonder how much my builder will charge for that! Arrg.

Having said that I am still a little in the dark about the Velbus system. Am I right in saying that the VMB4RY unit can switch the lights on and off but can not dim the lights. If I want to dim the lights I would have to go to one of the dimmer units, such as the VMB4DC (and hence would also need to get PB units for all the switches throughout the house)? I would like to have dimmable lights throughout the house.

Any guidance would be very useful.

Kind regards,

Willem

Quote Originally Posted by Lab-art View Post
    Eamon,

I found this write-up in another thread. I had my heart set on z-wave partially due to cost implications as well as the flexibility of the Fibaro dimmers. However having read your write-up I'm now wondering if I have made the right decision.

I'm also wondering if I should wire CAT6 to each of the switches just in case. I wonder how much my builder will charge for that! Arrg.

Having said that I am still a little in the dark about the Velbus system. Am I right in saying that the VMB4RY unit can switch the lights on and off but can not dim the lights. If I want to dim the lights I would have to go to one of the dimmer units, such as the VMB4DC (and hence would also need to get PB units for all the switches throughout the house)? I would like to have dimmable lights throughout the house.

Any guidance would be very useful.

Kind regards,

Willem
    Hi willem,

The VMB4RY has 4 onboard inputs which you can use for manual control. They do not dim, they are relay modules only. For dimming you can get one of the single channel dimmmer units. There are a couple of types available, some have inputs, others dont. For the ones that dont have onboard inputs, you would need a PB input module, again there are a few different types, but the DIN mounted ones are the only ones which can be used over extended distances (ie, to wire from your fuse board to switches).So your likely end configuration would be a combination of relay and dimmer modules, but also a few input modules such as the VMB6IN or the newer vmb7in. You can use one input to wire to several switches for two way switching etc easily though, so dont confuse this with thinking that you need an input for every single wall switch.

Worht nothing that they have replaced the vmb4ry now, with a newer module that has no on board inputs, meanint that a vmb6in would be required also. A bad move on velbus part I think, means the cost increases!

I would definatley ire cat6 to each light switich irrespective, but have a think aout the different wiring that would be required for the 220v side also going from a tradional wiring system to one with DIN mounted relays instead.