Thread: Advice needed, please - remote automation via mobile phone?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Advice needed, please - remote automation via mobile phone?

I have tried my best to read previous threads, but most were much to technical for me.

I would like to be able to activate two electric sockets (just on/off) for the purpose of turning on
    2 electric heaters in my office, while I am still at home. I have no land line or internet at the office
    (hence, perhaps the use of a mobile phone SIM activation)?

What would be the cheapest option for doing this - preferably wire-free and easy to fit?

I noticed a Home Easy HE101 for sale on eBay for £20 - is this suitable and the most user friendly?
    Do I need their socket system? My heaters are 2000Kw each - will I need
    2 of these - Home Easy HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket Black (3000W) - they are £6 each

Am I headed in the right direction?

Any suggestions and help with other (more simple or cheaper systems) would be appreciated.

Have a wonderful New Year,
    Philip

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Philip,

If you are not very technical then the home easy route would be the most sensible you would need the following:

2 x he302 on/off sockets - suitable for up to 3kw
    1 x he101 SMS base station
    1 x SIM card

A huge word of warning, switching of electric heaters whilst unsupervised poses a potential fire hazard however I am sure you know what you are doing.

BR

Chris

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by bailers View Post

2 x he302 on/off sockets - suitable for up to 3kw
    1 x he101 SMS base station
    1 x SIM card
    Thanks Chris,
    Can you please tell me if the HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket are any different to your recommended HE302?

I can't seem to be able to find the HE302 - perhaps an earlier model?

Thanks again

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by manulike View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    Can you please tell me if the HE322B Remote Controlled RF Socket are any different to your recommended HE302?

I can't seem to be able to find the HE302 - perhaps an earlier model?

Thanks again
    Not 100% sure but the homeeasy site shows them as HE302's perhaps the ones you have seen on eBay have the wrong model number. I did see an old eBay listing for HE322Bs however they did look the same as the he302 but in black. As long as they are on/off and are rated to 3kw you should be fine.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks again, Chris,
    Very much appreciate your help.
    Just one final note for anyone interested in this type of product:
    I have seen the base unit at prices ranging from £20 at eBay (new and with 1 year warranty) to £149...
    I have also seen the sockets for £50 each... (and they are £6 on eBay)
    This seems like a neat package for £40 including p&p
    So please do shop around!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by manulike View Post
    Thanks again, Chris,
    Very much appreciate your help.
    Just one final note for anyone interested in this type of product:
    I have seen the base unit at prices ranging from £20 at eBay (new and with 1 year warranty) to £149...
    I have also seen the sockets for £50 each... (and they are £6 on eBay)
    This seems like a neat package for £40 including p&p
    So please do shop around!
    I agree this is a great value option for someone, I used to use the homeeasy range before moving to Loxone. I found it to be fairly reliable and robust

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by bailers View Post
    I agree this is a great value option for someone, I used to use the homeeasy range before moving to Loxone. I found it to be fairly reliable and robust
    A FINAL UPDATE:
    Just received the £40 starter kit in the post today. Very happy with them as a company (Halx) as they were pleased to answer 3 or 4 long emails of mine, quite swiftly.

As for the HE 101 and socket kit - AMAZING! Really very user friendly and it only took me 5 minutes to figure out how to "train" the socket (in "learning" mode) and then I was totally up and running. And i am really VERY bad with technology usually...

As far as economizing further ... I recommend using giff-gaff SIM card - and perhaps after a few weeks I will be confident enough to turn off the return text confirmation option (making the mobile text communication totally free). Giff Gaff allow 6 months of non chargeable events before they terminate an account...

I don't really need the remote control or the light switch - but my mate, with a much larger home, is glad to take them off my hands!

Really appreciate your help, Chris.
    Last edited by manulike; 6th January 2013 at 11:57 PM.