• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Branksome
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2013

What is special about On and Off

I have used x10 for many years. I recently acquired a Sony Tablet S which has an ir blaster. It also has a Sony remote control app which can also learn ir commands.

I thought that one of the things for which I could use the tablet would be as a replacement for my old Pronto. The tablet very easily learnt the commands from the Pronto - all except on and off. So no problem with bright,dim, A5, C12, etc. Each time (I have repeated this many times) the tablet would say it has learnt the codes but each time I play back on or off my IR543AH doesn't blink. The original Pronto commands on and off work fine.

I can turn on a lamp by giving a bright command but that won't work for macros or for turning something off.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

How close is the Pronto to the tablet. Try putting the two nearer and if that doesn't work maybe further away. It is also possible that the pronto sends out more than one transmission pulse but the Sony tablet only sees the first pulse. What you can do is use a digital camera and look at the screen, while pointing the lens at the pronto and Tablet, if you can press the same button for on on both and see if there is a difference. Its a bit crude but it may work. Most digital cameras see in the near IR spectrum so the IR diodes will show up as white lights.

Have you tired looking on the Remote Central website.
    There is also an Android app that does something similar to the above mentioned test, but will also tell you the brightness. Don't know if it actually works or how good it is though.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Branksome
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2013

Thanks to Toscal for some helpful suggestions

I did try having the Pronto at different distances. However it was able to learn the other commands very easily and was very persistent at not learning these two commands

I would never have thought to use a camera - but I will try that later

There could be something different about the on and off commands on Pronto. I would have downloaded them some years back. Most x10 commands are listed on Pronto as 'learnt' but the on and off commands have a label.

I did look for an alternative download unsuccessfuly but will try again for my RU960

Thanks again for the other suggestions which I will also explore

Tom

Comment

• Branksome
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2013

I have resolved this problem. I have a Logiteck remote which has x10 commands built in. I never liked this remote and gave up on it. But I dusted it down, pointed it at the Sony tablet and the tablet quickly learnt the on an off commands so I am now happy.

Thanks again to toscal who made some useful suggestions for the future

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X