• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stachoo
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2009

Cortex operation lag

I have a pretty large Idratek installation controlling over 100 light points and other actors around the house.
    Every few weeks, my installation starts lagging. A noticable delay (1-3 seconds) appears between a button press and the light going on.
    The delay seems to appear quite randomly on different actors.
    The delay often dissapears when the same event appears in sequence (two consecutive button presses).
    The Idratek network doesn't seem overloaded despite the size of the installation
    My PC seems to have enough resources (4GB RAM, large amount of free HD space).
    Processor usage however seems quite high (up to 30-50%) when lags happen.
    Besides Cortex, it runs a 3CX Voip system, but it doesn't seem to be part of the problem.
    I also run a XAP hub to interface Cortex with my Squeezebox.

Through experimentation, I have found 2 ways to temporarily solve the problem:
    1. Reboot the PC (Cortex restart or reboot doesn't help)
    2. Disable Cortex logging
    The lag doesn't come back as long as logging is disabled.
    It does however come back within a few weeks from the reboot.

So it seems logging of Cortex data without a reboot of the operationg system (Windows XP SP3) over a long period causes important delays in Cortex event processing.
    It might be caused by some resource leak... but it's just an idea.
    Has anybody experienced such problems?

What else should I check to eliminate the problem?

Thanks for Your feedback
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

A known issue is an increase in processor usage by the separate Defibrillator process when API version 2 is selected. So you might want to check more specifically if it is Defibrillator or Cortex which appears to have the high CPU usage. Otherwise there are not any presently known leakage or gradual processor usage increase issues. If it is defibrillator and you don't need to use API version 2 then go to the Tools | Cortex API menu and select Version 1 for the default API and tick the adjacent check box.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

presumably, it's not every button press & every light, but it happens on & off - if so, then we too get such delays every now & then - not overly noticeably with the lights (they run automagically 95% of the time, so we're generally not directly involved), but quite noticeably with our door chime (AUI button-press triggers a 0.5s pulse of a DRB relay, wired to a ding-dong chime) - mostly it's fine, but the ding is sometimes slow to happen, and the dong, too (1-3s, as you said) ...

for the moment, we have various buttons around the house connected to the door-chime, too - to give us the ability to get immediate feedback on responsiveness (we're still installing & setting-up, so slowness could come from something we've done or not-done, or from the system, and this helps delineate) ...

Chris

PS: obviously when there are problems, with logs being generated, it can happen - but we find it happens otherwise, too ... we've also found that circuitous connections between Lights in a room can do the same - but even having fixed those, we still sometimes have the delays ...
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 5 June 2013, 10:40 PM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
      X