X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgp
    • Mar 2024

Comfort + Hometroller

Is the Homeseer Hometroller Pro effectively a fancy Windows box with Homeseer ready installed?

I want to connect my Comfort system to a bit of silent hardware running something like Homeseer (i.e. something that will let me configure a friendly GUI and ideally voice control). Something off the shelf (I planned to do something with Misterhouse, but I have to accept I don't have the time). A Hometroller looks like the easy option for me. But the Comfort plugin for Homeseer appears to simply be a bit of Windows software, so I want to make sure I could install it on the Hometroller before I buy one.

I already have the serial interface for Comfort, so I think that's all I need for the physical connection. I believe I should be able to connect that to a Hometroller? Can I install Comfigurator on the Hometroller while I'm at it?

One version of the Comfort plugin says "the main control panel [must] be fitted with version 4 Outdoor firmware". How do I tell? The system is ancient (10 years old), so I guess it may not be. Will it be easy to upgrade to that firmware version if necessary?

Are these two Comfort plugins the same, and if not, should I prefer one or the other:

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way altogether? I am open to the possibility of employing someone to sort it out for me (I'm in the south-east of England).
  • slychiu
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2010

The Homeseer plug ins are quite old as far as I know. "Outside version 4" firmware was probably 10 years ago so it may suit your system
    You can check your Comfort firmware by looking at the label on the U1 IC on the Comfort PCB or doing System Information by Comfigurator
    You may be able to find some info and feedback on the Homeseer plug ins in the Comfort forums at http://www.comfortforums.com/forum27/
    I believe Hometroller is a controller hardware that does some of the things which Comfort does, and you do not run Homeseer on it, but on a separate PC

Perhaps you can consider upgrading your Comfort I to Comfort 2 and upgrade to the UCM/Ethernet, since your system is 10 years old. This will allow you to use other software like ComfortClient http://www.comfortforums.com/forum65/ and Wizcomfort as well as use the Comfort iPad, iPhone, Android Phone and Android Tablet apps
    There should be upgrade packages available

Comment

• Vangelis
      Automated Home Guru
      • Sep 2009

Hi BGP,

I would head over to http://www.comfortforums.com and post there. There are a few of us on here running Comfort, but I personally don't have any experience with Homeseer. There will also be plenty of Installers there willing to offer their services.

Vangelis

Comment

• Andy
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2004

bgp

It sounds as thought you need an upgrade. Although the Outside V4.xxx ( Comfort V1 ) may still be fit for original purpose it is well outdated and if you are trying to start a new project I would certainly start by upgrading.

Upgrade pcb's are available

We have been Comfort integrators now for over a decade if you need further advice please feel free to contact me or re-post or as the previous recipient says join the Comfort forums.

Comment

• bgp
          • Mar 2024

Thanks for all the advice. I'll take the question to the Comfort forum, and consider taking on someone to sort it out for me.

I've been reluctant to upgrade Comfort because it is working fine and I assumed an upgrade would involve reconnecting all the inputs and outputs into the new box, which seems like a lot of hassle and risk of error for little benefit. Am I going to notice some significant improvements by upgrading to Comfort 2 (probably a question for their forums too)?

Comfort's own apps don't seem like friendly interfaces, and I really don't want some Windows software that has to be left running to enable a good GUI. I was hoping for a solution in a (silent/low-energy) box, but it sounds like the HomeTroller isn't it.

Comment

• MichaelD
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by slychiu View Post
            I believe Hometroller is a controller hardware that does some of the things which Comfort does, and you do not run Homeseer on it, but on a separate PC
            Hometroller is a cut-down windows box that runs HomeSeer, and is built for low energy use and reliability. General opinion is that they are very reliable, without the glitches that plague full-fat Windows-based systems.

Comment

Working...
            X