• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

Clock object, output date to DFP

Hi All,

I think this might be a feature request, but I'll ask anyway.

I note in new Cortex, DFP Display's round, triangle, square buttons having connections.

Would be great to use it to connect one to the Clock object, to output today's day and date?
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

Also on this, not sure if anyone else has tried this, but reconfiguring the circle button doesn't appear to work (I tried reconfig'ing it to output Sound history like the square button). It just does it's default of outputting the button menu.

Also for anyone who has got it working, when the circle button is reconfigured, does it remove the idle screen display circle button prompt?

Also another one which I can't figure is I've got a DFP panel, whose display doesn't output it's own square button sound history, any connected menus, or the connected HVAC Configure and Activate menu. I've been up and down the config comparing to a working one, but it's got me stumped. Any ideas?

One last one is, I notice per chance the HVAC Configure and Activate menu, having a circle button option (beginning with S, can't see the rest as it's scrolled off the dispaly). And hitting it, it seems to bring up some information in the first few lines, but leaves the rest of the display at the previous menu. I'm not sure what this option is doing. Anyone else seen this (Cortex 26.7.5)?

Comment

• Viv
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2004

When the screen is in Idle mode the round button will always provide access to display the button menu.
      However as part of the display connections menu it can also trigger another action.
      If that action would cause the display to update the button menu takes precedence.
      If you connected it to say toggle a light it would do that as well as display the button menu.

The triangle can also display the Sound History.

Regarding your DFP display.
      1. If you access the same HVAC menu from another DFP does it display the menu on the LCD?
      2. I assume the DFP Display is showing something?
      3. Is the Display "Properties" network enabled?

The HVAC display begining with round button S appears to be a bug.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Viv View Post
        When the screen is in Idle mode the round button will always provide access to display the button menu.
        However as part of the display connections menu it can also trigger another action.
        If that action would cause the display to update the button menu takes precedence.
        If you connected it to say toggle a light it would do that as well as display the button menu.
        Is it on the cards for a complete override in future version? For those of us who don't find the necessity for the button menu information display?

Other than calendar display instead, I can think of other things which would be good to have; immediate call up of Temps across the house, maybe alarm event history, maybe when sunrise (outside light sensor bright) time, maybe temp history of outside etc. Widgetty style information etc

Regarding your DFP display.
        1. If you access the same HVAC menu from another DFP does it display the menu on the LCD?
        2. I assume the DFP Display is showing something?
        3. Is the Display "Properties" network enabled?
        Thanks for taking time to reply;
        1. yes
        2. yes
        3. ironically yes, though when I first read your reply, I went that must be it, because that's exactly like it's behaving, also I never thought to check if it was enabled, as I usually only ever enable/disable the parent object, never sub objects.
        However just for kicks I disabled and re-enabled the parent Panel object (and all sub objects), just to check and still same behaviour.

The only other clue is the circle button menu button still works, and this is the only panel to share a common HVAC menu with another panel.

Also on the case of enabled/disabled objects, would a future feature request be in Structure view, to have the icons greyed out if they're disabled, so at a glance you can spot objects not enabled?

Comment

• Viv
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2004

The HVAC display begining with round button S appears to be a bug.

Viv
          Turns out not exactly a bug. Its a bit tight but attempts to show a circle and the word 'Status'.
          This only appears on a User Defined Menu alert line (bottom line).

For those menu lines which have an actionable object e.g. Toggle Lounge Light, if you press circle button you get status of that object, that is the Lounge Light.

Viv

Comment

• Viv
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2004

The next Cortex update will include an option on the LCD Behaviour menu | Prompt Screen, to disable the link between round button and prompt screen.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2009

Turns out not exactly a bug. Its a bit tight but attempts to show a circle and the word 'Status'.
              This only appears on a User Defined Menu alert line (bottom line).

For those menu lines which have an actionable object e.g. Toggle Lounge Light, if you press circle button you get status of that object, that is the Lounge Light.
              Thanks Viv. for the HVAC auto gen'ed menu, any idea what the first screen is showing?
              When I try it, it the room's current temperature but 3 lines of it, before Option 4 Heating Operation, etc.

The next Cortex update will include an option on the LCD Behaviour menu | Prompt Screen, to disable the link between round button and prompt screen.
              Cool thanks.

Also any thought on my DFP LCD menu not showing issue? The only thing I'm left to try now is to delete the entire object and re-add it. Or maybe trying repowering the entire spur just to see what happens.

Comment

• Viv
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2004

>>>
                Also any thought on my DFP LCD menu not showing issue?
                <<<

The Behaviour menu in Cortex should mimic the real device except for any clock updates.
                Therefore if Cortex is responding to buttons presses and invoking a menu screen the LCD Behaviour menu in Cortex should reflect what its trying to make the real world device do.

If Behaviour menu LCD does not respond, it would appear something to do with Cortex options.

Another thing to check is if the buttons presses are getting through to Cortex which you should see in the logging window.
                Ensure Logging options | Object names is turned on.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Dec 2009

>>>
                  Also any thought on my DFP LCD menu not showing issue?
                  <<<

The Behaviour menu in Cortex should mimic the real device except for any clock updates.
                  Therefore if Cortex is responding to buttons presses and invoking a menu screen the LCD Behaviour menu in Cortex should reflect what its trying to make the real world device do.

If Behaviour menu LCD does not respond, it would appear something to do with Cortex options.

Another thing to check is if the buttons presses are getting through to Cortex which you should see in the logging window.
                  Ensure Logging options | Object names is turned on.
                  Thanks for reply. Actually I should have been more clear (sorry), the LCD not updating is both in Cortex and in real life!

The LCD does not respond, *except* for it's own round button press. Everything else including HVAC Configure and Activate, my own User Defined menu, never comes up. Almost as if, as you originally suggested to check, the Display wasn't Enabled (though it is).

Comment

• Karam
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2005

Have you checked if the button presses are coming through ok?

BTW, a couple of posts back you mention changing the network enable property for a sub object - just to say that this should really only be done with the network stopped so that Cortex can subsequently properly initialise the enabled sub object when it starts running the network. If you need to do it whilst the network is running then you should reset the module afterwards and Cortex will then detect the reset and re-initialise it properly.

Comment

• marcuslee
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                      Have you checked if the button presses are coming through ok?

BTW, a couple of posts back you mention changing the network enable property for a sub object - just to say that this should really only be done with the network stopped so that Cortex can subsequently properly initialise the enabled sub object when it starts running the network. If you need to do it whilst the network is running then you should reset the module afterwards and Cortex will then detect the reset and re-initialise it properly.
                      Hi Karam,

Thanks for reply. Yes button presses are coming through ok, everything else bar the LCD acts normally (ie you can see when it goes into a menu that the X button begins flashing, the circle button completely works, as the LCD does display that).

Regarding enabling/disabling an object. I disable objects whilst network running, but to re-enable I always either stop the network, enable, then run network OR enable object, then stop and start the network. I think achieves what you said?

Comment

• Viv
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
                        I've got a DFP panel, whose display doesn't output it's own square button sound history, any connected menus, or the connected HVAC Configure and Activate menu.
                        Hi Marcus.
                        Thanks for sending us your database which has given us a clue as to the cause of the problem. It appears to be due to having two or more DFP's in the same room.

An example explanation…

When an object requests a User Defined Menu (UDM) to start that UDM takes note of who is doing the asking (Requestor). The Requestor can be any button, infrared receiver, switch etc. The Requestor does not need to belong to a MFP or DFP to make the request. So for example a button on a DRB in a lounge may be requesting a Menu located in a bedroom to start.

The logic is that the request is wanted to be heard and/or seen in the same location (room) as the Requestor. So the UDM takes note of the Requestor and finds out what Room it is in. It then finds an Intercom and/or a display in that Room to deliver the Menu prompts.

All this is designed to provide intuitive behaviour. However with two or more DFP’s in a room the logic might fail. For example a button on a DFP requests a UDM to start. The UDM finds the button is located in a Room. It then finds the LCD in that room. Unfortunately it has found the second LCD.

The logic will be improved to resolve this and a fix provided in the next Cortex update provided.

Viv.

Comment

Working...
                        X