Getting started with Home Automation - where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnySSH
    • Jan 2014

Getting started with Home Automation - where to begin?

Hi there,

I have been reading a lot about the various ways and systems available for settings up an "automated home" however the more reading I do the more the confusion grows.

Basically what I'm aiming to do is to aggregate control over all house functions incrementally, and would also prefer to have computer/network control over things.

I was planning to use OpenRemote as the control base: http://www.openremote.org/display/HOME/OpenRemote with Zoneminder http://www.zoneminder.com/ for security.

Since it is difficult and expensive to lay cabling I was considering going wireless which means Z-wave or even better 802.11 (wifi) since I already have quite an extensive computer network due to my profession/hobby of being a computer/network engineer, meaning a tonne of servers and network infrastructure in a computer rack.

What would be a good rundown of brands and components needed to set things up. I did discover this site: http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/ which has a lot of different manufacturers and products.

I guess to start with I would like to change the current alarm system to something that is network compatible. Basically something that would interface with computer software (like Zoneminder or similar) and alert via email or even better a full network with much more verbose data in addition to ringing an external alarm (like conventional alarm systems).
    - Also the lighting so that by using a cell phone/web interface or touchscreen controller one can adjust the lighting throughout the premises.

Could someone help me in where to begin and the manufacturers/products I should be looking.... I'm guessing that I need some kind of multi-protocol (X10, Z-wave) central control system which links to the IP network that acts as controller/gateway/bridge between the various protocols to the already existing computer network?

Thanks.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I will start with your suggestions
    Zoneminder looks to be a camera based security solution. So not a total security solution. What is your current alarm system, as many have some form of rs232 port. Also is it wireless as you could then look at RFXCOM system for security and HA as well.

OpenRemote looks quite good. But looks like it requires some form of computer running 24/7. So what happens if the computer dies. And what happens after a power outage how does the system cope after the PC has rebooted.

Since you say a wireless option would be preferred there are more alternatives than the ones you mentioned. Enocean is one of them (compatible with OpenRemote mind you you will still need a computer to enocean interface/gateway). The beauty of Enocean is that if you want wall switches then these work with out batteries, as the switch press generates the required amount of current to power the transmitter. Enocean isn't a cheap solution. But if your HA controller dies you still have control via the wall switches.
    Z-wave is OK but the system needs to know the location of the modules, so when you add or say remove a module you have to teach it again to update where the modules are, this link explains why.

When looking at a system think about your needs now and possible future needs.
    1. So you may need lighting as a priority now, but you would like to include heating at a later date. Can the system handle this?
    2. Can it be controlled from a smart phone or tablet or PC. If the answer is yes then how does it do this, via a web browser or a dedicated app.
    3. How does it cope with power outages once power is restored. Does it work out what should be on and what should be off. So if the power came back on at 16:30 the system checks to see what should be on now. So you don't come home to find the central heating off when it was due on at 16:20 or lights on that should be off.
    4. If the HA system died how would you control your lights etc,do you have a manual override. Most HA controllers are designed for longevity so not a huge problem. But if the controller relies on a PC running 24/7 then you could run into PC based problems. I have had PC's running Linux last years before giving up the ghost, and XP or Windows 7 seem to be quite stable if they are not running too many programs (but they do require the odd reboot at times).

Other things are will you require a UPS for the system to be able to shut it down safely in the event of a power outage. Can you afford to have a dedicated PC or two running just the HA stuff.

You may want to look at the Loxone system as this is compatible with a wide range of technologies via its extension modules. It could also act as your security system too.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• JohnnySSH
      • Jan 2014

Many thanks for the response :-)

It has alleviated some of my confusion.

Sorry for the delay in replying as I took some time to look into the links you sent over and read up a bit more on what you discussed.

So basically from a branding point of view you suggest going for:

RFXCOM, Enocean, Loxone

Am I correct in understanding that the RFXCOM transceiver modules are similar to the Loxone "miniserver"? In that they provide a gateway between HA devices and a network, but also in addition manage the HA devices too in conjunction with an application (web based or other). The Loxone miniserver seems to be based on Linux and has it's own web interface which I assume is the control point or central management interface for the HA devices?

Is it possible to mix and match with these different vendors? ie. intercompatibility between say RFXCOM and Loxone....

Also I think the biggest part of my confusion is coming from here: If I decided to go for the Loxone miniserver as control base... and wanted to start with lighting; as in wall switched lighting. What extra components would be needed, I'm assuming a wireless transceiver or access point of some sort coupled with wall switches with wireless transmitters in them?? Is there anywhere that has example or suggested setups that I can review to understand better?

Next up if I wanted to add central heating into the mix would it simply be a case of purchasing a wireless thermostat and connecting it inplace of the original one? Then adding it into the existing system via the Loxone miniserver?

Although this is Z-wave however, I'm just using it as an illustration: http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/produ...by-Secure.html but something like that however, using a compatible protocol.

Then if I wanted to hook up an alarm system to this would it simple be using the RS232 extension: http://www.loxone.com/enuk/extension...ns/rs-232.html

At present I checked my alarm system and unfortunately it doesn't feature RS232 capability or any other control as it's really old - over 10 years perhaps even more and actually was present in the premises installed by the previous owners.

Regarding central control via computer, running systems 24/7 is something I have been doing for many years. I host various opensource projects from home meaning that I have built up an array of enterprise IT equipment including 1500KVA UPS backups from APC. So that part won't be a problem at all...... I really just need to get my head around the HA stuff and actually understand it better :-) Though thanks to your response things are a lot clearer!!

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The Loxone system can be used on its own to control lighting and heating. Read through the examples they give on the Loxone website.
        Lighting wirelessly can be done via the Enocean extension module and then installing Enocean modules. You would also have to change the switches to enocean wireless ones. More info on the enocean range can be found here.
        So wireless lighting using the Loxone miniserver would comprise of a miniserver and the EnOcean extension module with antenna and then of course the enocean modules. For heating you would just add the Enocean radiator actuators and some form of temperature sensor (one for each zone). I have seen an enocean enabled temp sensor but can't remember where at the moment. Boiler control could come from the miniserver itself using one of the mains relay outputs. Of course there are other ways, and this is shown in the case studies on the Loxone site.
        More info on enocean with Loxone can be found below
        With our range of Air products, you can create automation in residential and commercial installations without the need to trace or pull cables.

Also look at the case studies on the loxone website.
        Why not email Loxone UK direct they respond quite quickly and Philipp from Loxone UK sometimes posts on here as well.
        Last edited by toscal; 18 February 2014, 10:05 AM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• JohnnySSH
          • Jan 2014

Just concentrating on lighting/heating I managed to find two companies which both support the KNX protocol... the Loxone does seem to support this too as well as the OpenHome software.

Jung - http://www.jung.de/

Vimar - http://www.vimar.com/

Regarding the Loxone though I'm a bit worried as the config: http://www.loxone.com/enuk/software/loxone-config.html seems to be only support on the M$ platform and I was hoping to go down the Linux/UNIX route.... a quick reason is that I haven't got any M$/Apple based systems at home and also I wouldn't want them either. Not sure if the web interface would work in the same manner, if so then that's fine :-)

Though my previous response hasn't yet been "approved" I mentioned that I liked it and that it does seem to be a good option.

Comment

• JohnnySSH
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by toscal View Post
            The Loxone system can be used on its own to control lighting and heating. Read through the examples they give on the Loxone website.
            Lighting wirelessly can be done via the Enocean extension module and then installing Enocean modules. You would also have to change the switches to enocean wireless ones. More info on the enocean range can be found here.
            So wireless lighting using the Loxone miniserver would comprise of a miniserver and the EnOcean extension module with antenna and then of course the enocean modules. For heating you would just add the Enocean radiator actuators and some form of temperature sensor (one for each zone). I have seen an enocean enabled temp sensor but can't remember where at the moment. Boiler control could come from the miniserver itself using one of the mains relay outputs. Of course there are other ways, and this is shown in the case studies on the Loxone site.
            More info on enocean with Loxone can be found below
            With our range of Air products, you can create automation in residential and commercial installations without the need to trace or pull cables.

Also look at the case studies on the loxone website.
            Why not email Loxone UK direct they respond quite quickly and Philipp from Loxone UK sometimes posts on here as well.

Many thanks @toscal :-)

Sorry for questions that must seem like really simple solutions but to start doing something without knowing anything about it can be quite difficult.

I'll do that! I'll email Loxone and also Jung as they seem to be quite good too and also both support EIB/KNX:

Maybe I can get them to work together unless the Enocean option is preferred - http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean_modules/ seems to be the array of modules in their product line.

Again many thanks I'm a lot clearer with things now :-)

Comment

Working...
            X