• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourtears
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2010

New evohome configuration questions

Hi,
    I am hoping some kind person who has already received their new evohome or has been trained on installation might help with these questions since I can't find a pdf online of the installation instructions to check before buying.

1. Is it possible to bind a separate bdr91 or similar boiler controller to a zone which has its own zone valve? If so can it be bound as an actuator while still having that zone call the master boiler control as well for heat? This is for a zone where we have thermaskirt heating controlled by a local 2 port zone valve that isn't hard wired back to the boiler.

2. Can the control panel be used as a thermostat for one of the zones where it is mounted on the wall?

3. I read somewhere that older HR80UK radiator controllers are only supported if they have firmware version 2.03. Does that mean 2.03 or higher or does it mean just 2.03 and not 2.04 which is what all mine seem to have?

4. Does the control panel use its battery up i.e. does it really need a power supply when wall mounted?
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

1) This is worth a call to the Honeywell helpline. With older products lines this would work, not sure if the new Evo is the same though.

2) Yes, the Evo controller can be used as the sensor for a zone.

3) I've got an older firmware on one of my HR80s and it appears to work just fine, but 2.04 or later will be fine too.

4) You will need to use a power supply, the batteries will only last a few hours before running down.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• fourtears
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2010

Thanks Neil.
      Is there a helpline for customers?
      Any idea if cm927 is compatible instead of dt92e?

Comment

• roydonaldson
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2013

I'm interested in the exact same question. My house currently has 2 x CM927 and 2 x HC60NG's connected to 2 zone valves. One for upstairs, the other for downstairs. I can only seem to set one Boiler Demand on the EvoHome. I could simply just replace my downstairs CM927 with the EvoHome and add some HC80's downstairs, but it would be good to replace both CM927's with dt92's and use the EvoHome connected to 2 HC60s

Any ideas ?

Comment

• fourtears
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2010

Honeywell have posted a pdf up of the installation instructions.

It looks like you can bind a BDR91 relay as a "ZONE VALVE" so I am pretty sure that will work as I want it to i.e call the zone valve AND the boiler relay when that zone needs heat.

Roy I assume in your set-up you would have multiple individual radiator controller zones on each of the physical (upstairs and downstairs) pipework zones. Two ways of doing this. Simplest is just wire both zone valves to the same BDR91 relay and bind that as a boiler relay. When any radiator HR92/HR80 calls for heat then all the pipework (and any uncontrolled radiators) would heat up together. If you wanted only the relevant half of the physical system to heat the you might be able to bind the relevant zone valve to each of the radiator zones but not sure if this works or whether you need to have a separate boiler control bound.

Comment

• Christo
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post

3) I've got an older firmware on one of my HR80s and it appears to work just fine, but 2.04 or later will be fine too.
            Thanks for this, but I have a mix of 2.02 and 2.03. Can you be specific about which versions are known to work?

Comment

• Christo
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2014

I have spoken to Honeywell who confirm that a HR80 unit version 2.02 will not work with the new Evohome controller, but that 2.03 and higher will work.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                Founder
                • Jan 2004

Here's official reply I got from Honeywell on the HR80 firmware version...

HR80 Firmware version 2.03 and above has been tested and is supported to work with evohome. You can check the firmware version by removing and replacing the batteries in the HR80, or via the product label. Older firmware versions will offer core functionality with evohome, however in some versions they pre-date some of the more recent features such as optimization and window open, and these will not function as expected.

M.
                Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                www.twitter.com/ottomate
                www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• imellor
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • May 2014

Which begs the question, can the firmware be updated?

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                    • Feb 2009

The firmware cannot be user updated. Some devices such as the Evo controller can be re-flashed via USB, others require special "bed of nails" rigs to hit specific pins on the circuit board. However Honeywell make none of this is available to end-users, as even the USB update process can "brick" the device if the procedures are not followed exactly.
                    Sensible Heat
                    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X