• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarkW01
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2014

Evohome and radiator covers

Hi,

I am having the Evohome system installed in my house and wonder whether anyone has any experience of the effect of radiator covers? Do the individual radiator thermostats work if the are covered - obviously access would be an issue (I intend to use the master controller) but do covers cause a problem in terms of trapping heat and misinforming the thermostats?

Many thanks.

Mark
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

If your radiator controllers are inside cabinets then you really need to include for a wireless room sensor in each room too, there is no other way to get a reliable room temperature reading otherwise.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• MarkW01
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
      If your radiator controllers are inside cabinets then you really need to include for a wireless room sensor in each room too, there is no other way to get a reliable room temperature reading otherwise.
      That's v helpful, thanks. I wasn't aware you could get those too - do you know how much they are, and are they the kind of thing I can retro-add myself?

(Retro-add may be a new word I have invented).

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

Prices vary depending on sensor version (there are three types compatible with Evo) and will vary between suppliers depending on whether they are internet box shifters, installers offering supply/install services etc. Speak to your installer and ask them about pricing, and point out that your installation will not work properly without the additional sensors!

Adding sensors on a DIY basis later is not difficult, just bear in mind that this may create issues with your installers warranty as you are modifying their configuration. If they supply and set up additional sensors with the rest of the kit they supply then there is no issue with responsibilities for warranty support. Any cost increases should be due to hardware only as the commissioning process is no different than registering the radiator controllers as room sensors.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• MarkW01
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
          Prices vary depending on sensor version (there are three types compatible with Evo) and will vary between suppliers depending on whether they are internet box shifters, installers offering supply/install services etc. Speak to your installer and ask them about pricing, and point out that your installation will not work properly without the additional sensors!

Adding sensors on a DIY basis later is not difficult, just bear in mind that this may create issues with your installers warranty as you are modifying their configuration. If they supply and set up additional sensors with the rest of the kit they supply then there is no issue with responsibilities for warranty support. Any cost increases should be due to hardware only as the commissioning process is no different than registering the radiator controllers as room sensors.
          Many thanks again. I don't need internet control, was just interested in the possible cost of the hardware if I did add it later (I'm not sure whether I will go for radiator covers or not). Are they about the same price as the radiaror thermostats and do they work instead of them?

Comment

• RichardH
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2013

I think you can use the Honeywell DT92E. From memory you tell the Evohome contoller that you're using the DT92E for the relevant zone and it then uses that as the sensor, but obviously the HR80 is still used to open and close the radiator valve. You can sometimes get the DT92 online without the receiver (which youy won't need) - just the thermostat part - but you're still probably looking at £60+.

If I were you I'd just buy nicer looking radiators and forget about the covers

Comment

Working...
            X