Decoded - EvoHome API access to control remotely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gordonb3
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
    Steadily making progress, the Evohome planned maintenance this morning did not help.

I found that the evohomeclient object leaks a lot of memory because it does not clean up the json objects that it creates. When finished with an object it should call json_object_put to reduce the reference count and free the memory once it reaches 0.
    Did have some reservations about that memory allocation bit. It didn't seem to hurt the single run client application though so I let it pass.

Integrating the client into the Domoticz core I found myself with the challenge to convert the json-c code to jsoncpp and rather than maintaining two fundamentally different branches I think it's probably best if I do the same with the stand-alone library which appears to automatically destroy Json objects when they get out of focus.

Comment

• RichardP
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
      Using this right?

Assume you have a login? (if not apply and it will get done)
      Yes I am using that as a reference now that I've got the basic mechanics working in my Windows app.

Here's a screen grab of my monitoring app as it is now. The temperature of the hot water is displayed on the main screen and I have a small debug output window with the zone temperatures listed.

I'm now saving the temperature data so I can implement some plots of temperature and set temperature over time.

Comment

• RichardP
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
        Did have some reservations about that memory allocation bit. It didn't seem to hurt the single run client application though so I let it pass.

Integrating the client into the Domoticz core I found myself with the challenge to convert the json-c code to jsoncpp and rather than maintaining two fundamentally different branches I think it's probably best if I do the same with the stand-alone library which appears to automatically destroy Json objects when they get out of focus.
        In a single run client it would not be a problem. As my app runs 24/7, it was a problem!

Comment

• gordonb3
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2016

Got that. In any case, it was on my ToDo list already but I'll push the conversion to jsoncpp through. You may actually like it better because it eliminates the need to retrieve an object before getting its content.

Comment

• dty
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Aug 2016

Richard, what are you doing that graphing in?

Comment

• RichardP
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by dty View Post
              Richard, what are you doing that graphing in?
              I just wrote a simple control using the Windows GDI+ API calls, it takes a collection of data point structures that contain a data array and the colour in which you want to draw the plot, it then draws them inside a defined rectangle.

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                I just wrote a simple control using the Windows GDI+ API calls, it takes a collection of data point structures that contain a data array and the colour in which you want to draw the plot, it then draws them inside a defined rectangle.
                That's a shame. I was hoping it was a proper platform that I could push my data into.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

I find emoncms.org a pretty good platform.

Comment

• gordonb3
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Dec 2016

Hi Richard,

You might be interested to learn that I did a rewrite of the library. The new version does no longer have a dependency on json-c. It is replaced by jsoncpp which is included in the source files and should not have any memory leaking issues. Obviously syntaxes are different, but once you get used to it is actually a lot simpler to work with as well.

Gordon

Comment

• RichardP
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
                      Hi Richard,

You might be interested to learn that I did a rewrite of the library. The new version does no longer have a dependency on json-c. It is replaced by jsoncpp which is included in the source files and should not have any memory leaking issues. Obviously syntaxes are different, but once you get used to it is actually a lot simpler to work with as well.

Gordon
                      I've had a quick look but not tried it yet. Looks much better. I like the fact that it does not call 'exit' when things don't go quite to plan too, that caused me a couple of issues in a long running app when the internet goes down!

Comment

• gordonb3
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2016

Yeah... That was kind of inspired by the idea of creating an application that would do a single run, like the Python scripts from the start of this thread.

You may like to note that if you run this from an application that stays resident it is not necessary to log in every time, which kind of reminds me that login() should be public. It is sufficient to rerun get_status() to fetch updates. You should be aware however that there is a maximum alive time for each session and you will need to login again after an hour (Better still to discard the session yourself before that happens). In theory you could then still re-use installationInfo and or schedule information, but with the in core Domoticz version I like to renew that as well after login.

Comment

• gordonb3
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Dec 2016

Richard,

Just noticed your output has the half degree resolution on temperatures. You may like to build and run the current evo-demo from the project folder for an example how to improve that.

Comment

• RichardP
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jun 2017

Gordon,

Thanks for the pointers.

I know that the session times out and I've coded to automatically reconnect on any failure to obtain data.

I also know that the old API gives higher temperature resolution, I'll get round to using that when I've got things working a little better.

I'm currently getting random crashes in the application, more often on startup and sometimes just at any time. This happens more on the tablet that I actually use and which runs the app which does not have a debugger on it (it only has 32Gb flash storage). I've added a debug log so I can see where it's crashing, and on startup it's almost always at some point in getting the status, more specifically getting the status of the 2nd location. On my development machine it crashes much less frequently and in much more random locations. Last night it crashed in the middle of the draw routine that's basically unchanged for 3 years. My guess would be that there is a memory overwrite. The first location has 5 zones, the second had 9 zones and dhw. Often the crash occurs reading the information for zone 6 on the 2nd location. That sounds like the location 2 data is using storage that's the size of location 1s data.

I want to switch to your C++ version, but I need to port over a couple of routines I added to get the dhw temperature and the zone names and temperatures.

Comment

• RichardP
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2017

I've now converted to the C++ version, so far it's looking much more stable - touch wood, no crashes yet on either development machine or the tablet. Took a bit of getting my head round how it works, but it appears to be actually very simple to use.

I made a couple of minor changes to the evohomeclient, not sure if you want to do anything with them.

I added methods for returning the dhw temperature, zone temperature and zone name, I need to add some more to get the set point etc.

Code:
                              float EvohomeClient::dhw_temp(int location, int gateway, int temperatureControlSystem)
                              {
                              	EvohomeClient::temperatureControlSystem *tcs = &locations[location].gateways[gateway].temperatureControlSystems[temperatureControlSystem];
                              	return dhw_temp(tcs);
                              }

float EvohomeClient::dhw_temp(EvohomeClient::temperatureControlSystem *tcs)
                              {
                              	float temp = (*tcs->status)["dhw"]["temperatureStatus"]["temperature"].asFloat();
                              	return(temp);
                              }

float EvohomeClient::zone_temp(int location, int gateway, int temperatureControlSystem, int zone)
                              {
                              	EvohomeClient::zone *z = &locations[location].gateways[gateway].temperatureControlSystems[temperatureControlSystem].zones[zone];
                              	return zone_temp(z);
                              }

float EvohomeClient::zone_temp(EvohomeClient::zone *z)
                              {
                              	float temp = (*z->status)["temperatureStatus"]["temperature"].asFloat();
                              	return(temp);
                              }

std::string EvohomeClient::zone_name(int location, int gateway, int temperatureControlSystem, int zone)
                              {
                              	EvohomeClient::zone *z = &locations[location].gateways[gateway].temperatureControlSystems[temperatureControlSystem].zones[zone];
                              	return zone_name(z);
                              }

std::string EvohomeClient::zone_name(EvohomeClient::zone *z)
                              {
                              	std::string temp = (*z->status)["name"].asString();
                              	return(temp);
                              }
                              I made a couple of changes due to compiler warnings, the sprintf calls were changed to sprintf_s and two local variables 'j_day' were initialised as in theory (but probably not practice) they could be used without having been initialised.

Comment

• RichardP
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Jun 2017

Current view on the monitoring tablet PC. Currently the plot colour changes entirely based on current temperature from blue 'cold' to red 'hot'. I might experiment with just changing the portion of the plot that's within range, might look a bit messy though. Changing the entire plot makes it easy to see at a glance what the current status is.

Comment

Working...
                                X