Stepping Motor Radiator Actuator wanted (Conrad FS20 without its electronics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbryant
    • Apr 2014

Stepping Motor Radiator Actuator wanted (Conrad FS20 without its electronics)

I have just dismantled one of these actuators. It appears to have a stepping motor servo which counts steps to determine position, since there are only two wires from the electronics to the motor and no evident position feedback.

Although it would not be too hard to hack an RF interface to the existing system (and this has, indeed, been done) I do not like the Conrad control and communication system and feel that there is a better and more reliable scheme.

I therefore propose to replace the electronics. But the thing is expensive and I would prefer to buy similar controllers without electronics but with the low power stepping motor, gear train, 2xAA battery holder, etc.

Does anyone know if such things are available? For my own purposes twenty or so (I need 15 but may damage a few in the learning process) Conrad rejects with faulty electronics from a surplus store would be fine, but I think my control system has advantages and would like to be able to publish my design so that other people can copy it - but only if I can point to a reliable source of servo actuators. I could 3-D print a battery and electronics housing if the device was only an actuator drive servo and not tidily packaged, but I do not think my 3-D printing skills run to designing a servo drive train and connection to the valve.
Working...
X