• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linzello
    • May 2014

Hi I'm New

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself, as I'm new to these forums and new to home automation. My name is Owen and I'm a software developer with a 3 bedroom 1930's house in south west London. I am planning to fully automate my house over the next 6-12 months as well as adding a 4th bedroom in the loft and extending the lounge to the rear. This will involve a complete rewiring and replumbing of the house, new doors, new kitchen, new bathrooms, partial underfloor heating, rain water harvesting and a sedum roof.

Currently I'm looking at using Loxone. From what I can tell, it seems to provide all the facilities of the more expensive systems, but at a fraction of the price. However, I'm open to other suggestions if you think they might help. I don't need to have control over absolutely everything to the Nth degree, but I do want things to be really really reliable and operable through smart phone/internet. The main things I want to automate are:
    - lighting with dimmers
    - door locks and alarm
    - heating
    - music system
    - power sockets

I'll be doing the design and bits of the labour myself. My budget for home automation is 4-5k, excluding labour. Is that a ridiculous figure? am I going to need way more than that? I have a zillion other specific questions, but for now I'm just looking for some general pointers.

Cheers,
    Owen
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Hi Owen - welcome

That budget will certainly get you going. As you're a techie you can build the system bit by bit over time.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Omid Nikroo
      • May 2014

Hi Owen,

So you know - I work for Loxone, so anything I say may be slightly biased, but I will ensure to give you hard facts and advice, with no sales style opinion.

I double what Otto said, that budget will more than get you started, and the Loxone system is modular and expandable so you can definitely build the system over time, as suggested.
      Just make sure you wire for everything whilst you can
      We actually have an example which documents an automated 3 bed home, with similar features to yours, and its cost - you may find this useful.
      The example is broken down to circuit level to identify an accurate cost, using this information you can get to a IO (input/output) cost for the control gear.

Please feel free to fire any questions at me!
      Loxone.com

Comment

• linzello
        • May 2014

Hi Omid,

Thanks for your input. That example 3 bed house is really useful
        I don't suppose you could recommend some locks that can be trigged by your iButtons?

Many thanks,
        Owen

Comment

• Omid Nikroo
          • May 2014

No problem Owen,

There are plenty of options for locking mechanisms. From deadbolts, magnetic locks, electric door strikes, to fully motorised multipoint locking mechanisms.

Each with its pro's and con's (and of course price).
          These door locking mechanisms commonly accept a simple on/off signal (can be a voltage of 12V, 24V or 240V) which you switch through something like our digital outputs.

Have a look at these for starter:
          Electric Strikes: http://www.sdcsecurity.com/electric-strikes.htm
          Internorm: http://www.internorm.com/uk/internorm.html (Can have electronic locks built into doors at the factory stage)

Really, any locking mechanism will likely work, however if you find one you are not sure about, just let me know and I will check it out.

Keep them coming
          Loxone.com

Comment

• linzello
            • May 2014

Those are great sites you've linked!
            Thanks very much

Comment

• kieran2712
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2014

Is SDS your company if so wouldn't mind having a chat!
              Kieran McGuire
              www.1install.co.uk
              Home Automation installer

Comment

Working...
              X