Two questions about best control centre for Z-Wave, Fibaro, rfxtrx, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hazymat
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2014

Two questions about best control centre for Z-Wave, Fibaro, rfxtrx, etc.

Hi

I bought a whole load of LightwaveRF dimmer switches for my flat. I'm generally happy with them, but I know that I won't be truly happy until I have a system that can report back the status of each light. So I was looking into the Fibaro dimmers which require mounting in a back box behind a separate switch.

Then I'd like to build up the system using an rfxtrx controller (anyone tried the new RFXtrx433-E version?) and a Windows server running some kind of web interface and logic that ties it all together. Preferably something expandable to support iOS notifications, a nice mobile web interface, maybe even an iOS app. With a view to adding door security controls, blinds control, garage door, etc. at a later date.

Anyway my questions:

1/ Fibaro dimmers behind switches. Do they need a large backbox as compared with LightwaveRF dimmers? My LWRF devices only just fit into some back boxes
    2/ I've looked a little bit at some open source Domotic servers. Can someone point me towards some useful articles comparing their functionality? There seems to be so much hot air and not enough data on these server softwares!
    3/ Anyone else using Z-Wave and electric door openers? I've looked at the various smartphone door locks (Kevo - easy to break in, August - not released yet, Goji - gorgeous but not released yet) but I'm thinking I'd like to integrate door security into the main control system so I can e.g. press a single "night night" button to turn out the lights and check doors are locked...

Thanks!

Mat
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Hey Mat,

Ref 1) Yes you will need a lot of space in the back box. I also found a 'maze' of wiring when replacing with LightwaveRF, so considered (as I have stud walls), locating the fibaro unit in the wall void, outside of the back box.

Ref 2) Not sure as I use a MacOS based home automation

Ref 3) Z-Wave door locks do look a bit gimmicky. I have gone down the route of integrated door locks (some biometric) and plan to have ZWave control the remainder via a separate ZWave unit (under the control of home automation)

Vangelis

Comment

• thompsonson
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2014

Hi Mat,

I'm doing some research for software controllers and currently looking at OpenHAB and Domotiga. Will be looking to run the controller aspect on a Raspberry Pi and DB\Web servers on QNAP. I've seen people have a write only DB on RPi and replicate over to NAS MS SQL as well. I've nothign concrete yet though but think it's worth you having a look at those two systems.

HTH,
      Matt

Comment

Working...
      X