Thread: Confused on wiring options

Automated Home Lurker

Default Confused on wiring options

Hi All,

I'm stuck on how to replace a pair of double light switches that control 3 lights.

I'm looking at slowly replacing an X-10 setup (well, what's left of it anyway) with a fully integrated Z-Wave setup. I'm going to start nice and simple with plugs and lamps and work my way through the rest of the lighting circuit first before moving onto the heating side, but whatever I do has to pass through internal building control (also know as the wife) so I can't do things like chase new wiring or put in new wall boxes. So, with that in mind what I'm looking at is something I can do that can replace the existing light switches.

For the simple light circuits (one switch or two single switches) I'm fine, but in the lounge I have 2 double switches that control 3 lights and I can't work out what to do to replace them. I've looked at Fibaro inserts and TKB Dual Paddle Wall switches, but I don't think that I could fit either 2 inserts into a box or 1 insert and 1 wall switch into the same box. The other option I have been thinking of is 3 inserts but putting them in the ceiling void where the rose is but I'd be concerned about heat buildup.

I'm guessing that many of you have faced similar situations in the past, so I was wondering what answers you had come up with.

Many thanks,
    David

Automated Home Lurker

Hmm, or maybe not. Oh well.

Dependant on the the wall type (stud or brick) you might be able to site the Fibaro unit in the wall void, outside of the patress box. An alternate (though expensive) ZWave option is Vitrum. I know they have a 3way switch that may cater for your needs.

Vangelis