• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mat12
    • Jun 2014

A new dawn... Slow opening automated window blinds

Hi,

Hoping for some advice!

I work funny hours, including late shifts and nights, and so getting good sleep at random times of the day is really important to me. I also find it beneficial to wake up gradually with natural light. So I have a plan: I want to install a blackout blind, and then fit a motor on a programmable timer that will gradually open the blind just before my wake up time, to create a “dawn” for me to wake to, any time of the day I wish.

My requirements are as follows:

1. Complete black out when blind closed

2. Must be very easy to set the opening time (i.e. no need to boot up a computer) – ideally from android smartphone

3. Must open very slowly, e.g. over a 30 minute period

4. Must have an almost silent motor

5. Must have manual override (that doesn’t take 30 mins to open)

6. I’m hoping for a total cost <£100

Plan so far:

1. Use a standard roller blind with blackout cloth, mounted on the ceiling of the window recess (133cm wide x 209cm high)

2. Connected to mains power, transformed down to lower voltage if required

3. High torque, low speed motor, geared down even further. Something out of a tape deck?

4. Possibly mount motor in box stuffed with modelling clay for silencing effect

I would really like some advice on possible control systems, and whether the whole idea seems feasible at all! Reading around the web have seen talk of Arduino, PICAXE etc, but my knowledge in this area is limited.

I can do a bit of programming, wiring, soldering, carpentry etc, but not sure yet if this project is beyond my skills or not!

(PS I have looked at the Somfy blind motors, but they are expensive, and it doesn’t look like you can make them open slowly enough.)

Thanks,

Mat
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Arduino is probably your best way forwards as there are lots of 'Sheilds' out there for external hardware control. I would probably go for a stepper motor as that way you could control the opening perameters better (as opposed to a standard xero-feedback motor).

You might also want to consider a rail for the blind to ensure total blackout. If you include a LUX sensor, you could ensure normal operation when not on shift as opposed to a manual override

Comment

Working...
    X