• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casterina
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2014

Home Alarm System

I have searched online for a GSM home alarm system and Visonic, Yale, Infinite Prime and CommPact seems to be the most popular ones, what are your thoughts and which one you suggest me to purchase?

I have rang two installers today and one said he installs Scantronic alarms and the other one installs Texecom alarms, I believe Scantronic is not as good as Texecom but what are your thoughts?

Is GSM more reliable than using telephone to contact you when alarm is triggered?

Also my house has all the alarm wires fitted when the house was built, should I go for a wired or wireless system?

Thanks
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Texecom are better (in my opinion) than Scantronic (which are dedicated to the lower end of the market).

As for reliability of GSM over PSTN, then usually GSM is a backup to PSTN, should the line to the property be cut. GSM can also text you with information about tripped sensor, where as an alarm phoning you would only provide possible a standard messge (depending on complexity)

Personally I would always go for a wired security system (if only so you don;t have to change sensor batteries each year!), but you would want to test the wiring first to confirm it is still ok, especially if opting for EOLs.

Vangelis

Comment

Working...
    X