• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • niietzshe
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2014

Right HA solution for app development

Hey all,
    I've been following HA stuff for years, but being a renter there's not been much I can do (properly anyway).
    I'll be buying a house next year and want to start to experiment. Currently I'm looking at the MiCassaVerde with the LightwaveRF module addon, or Mac orientated with Indigo (both Zwave and LightwaveRF).

Ideally I want something open, than I can add stuff as I wish (I code in Python at work, various other scripting languages over the years, but nothing useful. I'm going to start learning Java and objective-C again soon) So I'd want to be able to add plugins, or at least my own control interface and communication with network controlled stuff.

Based on that, do you guys/girls have any thoughts on the two that I've mentioned, or a possible alternative that would be the best thing to start with that would allow me to extend it if needed. I just wanted to get feedback from actual users rather than marketing schpeal. The Verde's UI7 looks promising if it ever comes out.

Thanks
    Christian

P.s. I was looking at Fibaro, but the Lite version doesn't allow Lua coding Maybe the HC2 would be better..
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Hi Christian

Welcome.

If you're looking for maximum flexibility and scripting I'd say go with Indigo -

There are loads of 3rd plugins available too and you could even create any new ones you require as you are a programmer.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• niietzshe
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Aug 2014

Yeah thanks, those articles are what "turned me on" to Indigo in the first place.
      I'm not a programmer, I'm a VFX Artist, but I do use Python sparingly as well as some application specific languages. Currently I'm pushing Python for a web dashboard to bring together a load of services I use, the idea being that I'll extend that for home automation, possibly creating ios/android apps to really unify it.

The concept for the house is to have it be Reactive rather than controlling it through an interface or physical switches, so if I hit a problem that can't be achieved with the default software I'll want to add it myself. I've done some bits in the past with AppleScript, so Indigo is out on top at the minute.

Looking at the docs you just posted, it has Python support as well as an API, so I think that answers my questions perfectly.
      Thank you very much.
      Christian

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

If you are after a truly 'reactive' house as you put it then make sure to take a good look at Idratek too Christian....

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• niietzshe
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Aug 2014

Maybe one day

Comment

• b_weijenberg
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Sep 2006

Other systems that support Z-Wave and LightwaveRF (and more):
            HomeSeer Systems Are Faster & More Reliable! Our Smart Home Systems Are Locally Managed So They Work Even When the Internet Goes Down!

Domoticz is a lightweight Home Automation System

Apps Internet Handige Pirate Bay Proxy Lijst Melissa 1939 Apps Auto's Hoe zet je Google Maps Embed op je eigen website? Melissa 1592 Internet Lifestyle Online slim gokken, hier moet je op letten onlino 1028 Apps Internet Een website maken? Dat kan iedereen! onlino 344 Internet Tech Spelen bij verschillende kansspelaanbieders: slim of niet? onlino […]

openHAB - a vendor and technology agnostic open source automation software for your home

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

don't underestimate the benefit of not having to start from scratch in creating the behaviours needed for the house to be able to 'react' - Idratek's Cortex provides some really good building blocks (objects) for making what you're after a reality, and starting small (with one room, say) would certainly be viable - scale is not an issue ! As Mark said, take a good look ... PartII of the feature he linked-to will identify more of what's possible, for a really 'reactive' house, but in the meantime we thought this a good overview of what it's about : http://www.idratek.com/products/technology/
              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• niietzshe
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Aug 2014

Thanks Chris, I'm looking forward to seeing part 2.
                As of yet is seems like I'd have to hardwire everything and that's not an option atm, but maybe in the future.

Comment

• niietzshe
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2014

A new development (partdon the pun).
                  Files below contain documentation for Home Center Lua API and REST API. Lua API Documentation REST Api Documentation

Comment

Working...
                  X