• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freeman3030
    • Mar 2011

Magnetic switch for cupboard light

Hi,
    I really am clueless when it comes to electrics but am hoping for some help. I have a large storage cupboard in my hall which has a power socket in it. I want to get a couple of LED light stips, mount one to the top of the cupboard and one underneath the shelf to illuminate the cupboard. I'd also like a magnetic switch so when I open the door, the light comes on automatically, like wise, turns off when I shut the door. I've had a look on Amazon but I don't know what to search for. Also I have no idea how to do any form or wiring (I would give it a go if I had instructions). Is there a kit that I can get which plugs into the mains that can do what I'm trying to achieve?
    Many thanks,
    James
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Magnetic switches are not mains rated (they use a magnet and a reed switch ~12vdc) You would therefore need additional circuitry.

I would use a mains rated microswitch (enclosed connections), you can then wire this in-circuit to achieve what you want.

Vangelis

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

We have these on a lot of our wardrobes. They control a "normal" bulb but no reason not to wire in something else instead.
      Low cost too

HTH,
      Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
      X