• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourtears
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2010

Honeywell hometronic HCC80R floor stat for wooden floor

Hi,

I have just had a new engineered wooden floor fitted over wet under floor heating. The manifold is controlled by an HCC80R which talks to my hometronic controller and an HCF82 wireless room stat. The floor company say it is essential to install a high temperature stat in the floor as well as the room stat to prevent the surface temperature getting too high and damaging the floor. Is there a good work-round to do this as I don't think the HCC80R has floor stat inputs. I am thinking maybe put some kind of floor stat between the output of the HCC80R and the actuators. Unfortunately I only have CAT5 cable between the floor stat possible location and the manifold location so it would need to be a low voltage or wireless floor stat.

Tim
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

That sounds a bit OTT - I'd agree that high limits sensors for electric UFH is a definite requirement, however with wet systems unless you are running the manifold at very high temperatures then the heat transfer from water to pipes to slab to timber pretty much guarantees you'll not exceed the maximum temperature for the timber flooring. If you want to fit a limit thermostat then you would need to re-wire the thermal actuator so the the live feed from the HCC80R goes to the stat, and from the stat to the actuator. You should also ensure you get the sensor in the right place - too close to a pipe loop and it will not work very well.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• fourtears
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2010

Thanks that is what I thought. I will speak to the plumbers about whether they consider it necessary. I suppose the only scenarios where the surface temperature could go too high would be if the thermostatic mixer valve on the manifold is malfunctioning, or if it is set up wrong. The floor company are probably just covering themselves but they warn that engineered woods are stable up to a point but even a few minutes at over 27 degrees can kill them.

What you suggest, putting a stat between HCC80R and actuator is what I had in mind, but I would need to use a low voltage stat and a relay since the stat would connect via cat5 cable.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

You could use the cat5 cable to extend the floor sensor cable and fit a regular 230v stat at the manifold IR simply use a stat on the manifold itself to guard against a mixing valve failure.

I've got engineered oak over my screened wet UFH and have not bothered with high limit sensors. It's been fitted for over 7 years with no issues so far. In my case I don't even have mixing valves on my manifolds as the heat source is a ground source heat pump set to run with a maximum flow temperature of 40 degrees.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X