X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • svebo
    • Sep 2014

Is automation coming to the masses?

With Apple trying to get into the game and Logitech broadening their controls with MyHarmony, is home automation going mainstream?
  • JohnT
    • Oct 2014

definetly, but what is wrong with that? the more user we have, the more time and money will be spend for new technologies

Comment

• JohnT
      • Oct 2014

just found that: http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ods-by-gender/

see second point

Comment

• Hot
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2014

Home Automation is here to stay

Originally posted by svebo View Post
        With Apple trying to get into the game and Logitech broadening their controls with MyHarmony, is home automation going mainstream?
        Home Automation has reached the masses and all over the country people are busy adding more and more automation to their homes. People are installing Smart Intelligent Heating Controls in their homes and systems from leading heating control companies like Heat Genius that have combined the use of Big Data and Small Data that has been collected using sentrollers (sensor, actuators and controllers) to help us to monitor our homes and control our home environment.

Big Data is about the Internet of people (IoP); various devices are connected to the Internet and tracked to provide information regarding how, when and where they are used.

In comparison Small Data is generated by the Internet of Things (IoT), which relies on sensors to collect it. Small Data will be processed by sophisticated algorithms, it will be combined, analysed, interpreted and sent back to the micro-controllers in that same environment for action determined by the algorithm.

Home Automation (HA) is the residential extension of building automation. It is automation of the home, housework or household activity. Home Automation may include centralised control of lighting, HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), appliances, security locks of gates and doors and other systems, to provide improved convenience, comfort, energy efficiency and security. Home Automation for the elderly and disabled can provide increased quality of life for persons who might otherwise require caregivers or institutional care.

The popularity of Home Automation has been increasing greatly in recent years due to much higher affordability and simplicity through smartphone and tablet connectivity. The concept of the "Internet of Things" has tied in closely with the popularisation of Home Automation.

A Home Automation system integrates electrical devices in a house with each other. The techniques employed in Home Automation include those in building automation as well as the control of domestic activities, such as home entertainment systems, house-plant and lawn watering, pet feeding, changing the ambiance "moods" for different events (such as dinners or parties), and the use of domestic robots like wireless vacuum cleaners, (Dyson, iRobot, Samsung) Devices like Smart Intelligent Heating Controllers (Heat Genius, Nest, Honeywell Evohome) may be connected through a home network to allow control by a personal computer, and may allow remote access from the internet. Through the integration of information technologies with the home environment, systems and appliances are able to communicate in an integrated manner which results in convenience, energy efficiency, and safety benefits.

Automated "homes of the future" have been staple exhibits for shows like the Homebuilding & Renovating and the Ideal Home Show and many other shows worldwide and who has not noticed how it has been used as popular backgrounds in many science fiction TV series and Movies. However, problems with complexity, competition between vendors, multiple incompatible standards, and the resulting expense have limited the penetration of home automation to homes of the wealthy, or ambitious hobbyists that is until now and the Home Automation is reaching out and coming to the masses.

I for one will not buy anything new or something to replace older home devices without first looking at how it can integrate and extend my Home Automation.

Yes the Home Automation is becoming mainstream and you can judge how serious companies like Apple take Home Automation in that their new Apple TV Box will be set to become the device that you use to control all the devices in your home. Although this might be fresh news to many Apple TV Box owners - anyone with third-generation Apple TV Box and with the latest 7.0 software update will now likely have a HomeKit-enabled central hub, whether they know it or not.

Apple has already revealed that HomeKit will use Bluetooth and WiFi to communicate, and Apple TV offers both. It's always connected to WiFi and is always in your home. You could connect to it at any time and control your house lighting and when you are absent.

Home Automation peripherals can turn on lights before you walk in. It can also control small appliances, like to turn on the coffee maker before you go downstairs in the morning. These examples are only few of many. Home Automation peripherals list gets longer every day. Here are just few that I am aware of.

Home Automation Peripherals List

Control security lighting; Limiting the charging-time of mobile devices; Smoke alarms; Fire Alarms; Mobile Chargers; Coffee Makers; Weather Sensors; Water Controls; Energy Meters; Alarm Sirens; Security Keypads; Garage Door Controls; Security Cameras; Door & Window Sensors; Door Locks; Motion Detectors; Shade & Blind Controllers; Interior Lights; Exterior Lights; Thermostats; Touch-screen Panels; Rain sensor; Hardware Controller; Window Blackout film.
        Last edited by Hot; 24 October 2014, 01:43 PM. Reason: Correcting errors and additional text
        I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.

Comment

Working...
        X