• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

Very dark threshold

Hi All,

I use the Dark threshold to set certain outdoor lights into action (such as house number signs etc), and is used for twilight.

However I'd like another threshold such as a "Very Dark threshold" such that it would then action the closure of black out blinds / curtains etc (where closing them earlier isn't really appropriate).

What's the best way to do this without a Very Dark threshold available (I have some thoughts, but I think they might be a bit kludgy)?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

how about using a virtual light-level sensor, fed off a relevant real one, and with its dark threshold set to your very dark level ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Using a virtual light level sensor as Chris suggests allows you to then utilise integrated automation features driven by the virtual light level object - such as lighting automation. On the other hand you can just use more traditional logic by setting up an arbitrary threshold trigger in the original light level object. You access the arbitrary threshold triggers table by clicking on the graph type icon at the botton of the light level object behaviour window. You can set up as many different thresholds as you like and whatever direction and hysteresis values you want.

Comment

• marcuslee
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Karam View Post
        Using a virtual light level sensor as Chris suggests allows you to then utilise integrated automation features driven by the virtual light level object - such as lighting automation. On the other hand you can just use more traditional logic by setting up an arbitrary threshold trigger in the original light level object. You access the arbitrary threshold triggers table by clicking on the graph type icon at the botton of the light level object behaviour window. You can set up as many different thresholds as you like and whatever direction and hysteresis values you want.

Thanks Chris, Karam (definitely better suggestions than what I had in mind)!

Karam, regarding the new threshold, what is the option Re-evaluate input on valid operating period start do (I'm using it, as I guess it's better to define a time period in the eveningish time to have this operating, vs just leaving it running all the time)?

I would have assumed as soon the operating period begins, it would have evaluated the input anyway / I can't quite think of a scenario where this option is particularly relevant/necessary?

Also to duplicate the existing going Dark threshold built into Cortex, I guess these options would do the trick?
        Hysteresis value: 1
        Trigger direction: going below
        Operating times: 4pm - 11:45pm at night

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

• Viv
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2004

"what is the option Re-evaluate input on valid operating period start do"?

When a new operating period becomes valid it has the effect of setting the current value to initally unknown.
          Therefore the next value to arrive becomes the current value and in particular the new datum for Trigger direction changes +ve and -ve.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Viv View Post
            "what is the option Re-evaluate input on valid operating period start do"?

When a new operating period becomes valid it has the effect of setting the current value to initally unknown.
            Therefore the next value to arrive becomes the current value and in particular the new datum for Trigger direction changes +ve and -ve.
            Thanks Viv, understood now.

Comment

Working...
            X