Honeywell evohome and Warmup electric underfloor heating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • magga
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2014

Honeywell evohome and Warmup electric underfloor heating?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and came across this forum after researching into Honeywell's evohome heating system. I have now bought it along with 4 x TRVs and the only question I have is if anyone knows if/how I can get it working with my Warmup electric underfloor heating in the bathroom.

I've searched online for details about this but have not come up with much. I've seen sensibleheat.co.uk seem to provide something to do this, but I'm not entirely sure what this is and it looks like you have to use some kind of different firmware on your evohome for this?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or provide any other help, that would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

I'd be interested in how you connect up electric underfloor heating to EvoHome as well. I'm thinking of putting it outside in my conservatory to take the chill of it in the winter, but don't want to look at it unless I can integrate it easily to my EvoHome.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
      • Feb 2009

If you've several zones to control it is cheaper to use a Manifold Controller with interface relays/contactors to handle the load, or individual Honeywell Relay Modules with interface relays/contactors if required.

It is vital that you keep the floor sensor and basic stat for high limit control too, otherwise you can damage the heating element and/or floor!
      Sensible Heat
      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• magga
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2014

I only have one underfloor heating zone, and it is electric, every is rads with TRVs.

I have spoken with someone else about it and they say it is possible, using a DTS92, however, this will mean that the boiler will fire up with the thermostat calls for heat so basically if your underfloor heating is on, your boiler will also be (unnecessarily) on.

Comment

• roydonaldson
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by magga View Post
          I have spoken with someone else about it and they say it is possible, using a DTS92, however, this will mean that the boiler will fire up with the thermostat calls for heat so basically if your underfloor heating is on, your boiler will also be (unnecessarily) on.
          Would you be able to let me know how they suggested you set this up ? I'm assuming that it would fire up the boiler if you have a Boiler Control relay bound in the EvoHome. I'm not using the Boiler Relay configuration like this in mine, so could perhaps use it ??

Roy.

Comment

• magga
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Sep 2014

Hi Roy,

I'm not 100% sure how he suggested it could work, all I know is that he mentioned the DTS92. I didn't really ask for further details when he said it meant the boiler would fire every time the DTS92 called for heat.

Matt

Comment

• Hot
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Oct 2014

Heat Genius - can handle this as standard

Originally posted by magga View Post
              Hi everyone,

I'm new here and came across this forum after researching into Honeywell's evohome heating system. I have now bought it along with 4 x TRVs and the only question I have is if anyone knows if/how I can get it working with my Warmup electric underfloor heating in the bathroom.

I've searched online for details about this but have not come up with much. I've seen sensibleheat.co.uk seem to provide something to do this, but I'm not entirely sure what this is and it looks like you have to use some kind of different firmware on your evohome for this?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or provide any other help, that would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
              Magga - I don't see any way that you can utilise Honeywell Evohome to control your Warmup underfloor heating in your bathroom - not without using a hacked firmware or reverse engineered firmware.

Honeywell Evohome controller is designed primary to control wet heating system so everytime something that is connected to the Evohome calls for Heat - the boiler will fire up.

I checked with Heat Genius who incidentally is my Smart Intelligent Heating Control supplier and they advice me that their Heat Genius Hub can handle this as standard. The only thing you need is one of their Smart Plugs. Each Heat Genius Smart Plug will give you 3000 Watts to play with and you can control it with your mobile, tablet or PC. You could configure more than one Smart Plug for example one to deal with the heating in your bathroom and one for a conservatory.

However, its not all plain sailing as there is an issue if you are using Smart Plugs as nearly all underfloor heating system are wired into fused spur (and not to a plug socket - this is to do with the electrical regulations, which also disallow plug sockets within 3m of a bath/ sink etc.) The 3m rule applies to measurements within the room that has the underfloor heating installed.

The good news however are that Heat Genius is busy working on a solution to address this.
              Last edited by Hot; 30 October 2014, 07:12 PM. Reason: additional information
              I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.

Comment

• Rameses
                Industry Expert
                • Nov 2014

evohome can control loads of up to 1kW. I have mine controlling several electric radiators (loft extension). So if your electric solution is less than this then all good.
                The DT92 does the load switching, the DTS92 acts as the room sensor. Both are bound to evohome when the zone is created.

The above post is correct though the boiler will fire, even if you want only want the electric only on. But in my case this is not an issue as I rarely required the electric only zone without a hydronic zone also active.
                getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• magga
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

I have Warmup DWS400 heating which I believe is 400 watt, do you know how I would go about connecting up the DT92 to this, is there a way to connect the temperature probe to the temperature rather than relying on the air temperature?

Thanks
                  Matt

Comment

• Rameses
                    Industry Expert
                    • Nov 2014

Matt - warmup is calculated load per m2 so you want to count up your total load (looking at the site its 150w per m2) . If its still less than 1.15kW (5A @230vac) then this is still a viable option.
                    - The DT92 is the relay part. Really simple install, just put inline - set the zone up as zone valve - and leave your Warmup 'on' - the DT92 then performs the switching.

The DTS92 is the only sensor input allowed into evohome. The warmup will still have its own temp thermostat cut off I suspect - but you will need the DTS92 to provide a reading to allow the DT92 to switch (if you see what I mean). So you will not be able to avoid. There should be a high correlation with air temp and your floor though.

Evohome will still perform its 'learning' so will control the valuable 'time on' and 'time off' element.
                    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• magga
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Sep 2014

Hi Rameses,

Thanks for the info.

So, do I need to keep my current Warmup thermostat then, or can I get rid of this? When you say leave the warmup "on", you mean at the mains?

Thanks
                      Matt

Comment

• chapelhill
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                        Matt - warmup is calculated load per m2 so you want to count up your total load (looking at the site its 150w per m2) . If its still less than 1.15kW (5A @230vac) then this is still a viable option.
                        - The DT92 is the relay part. Really simple install, just put inline - set the zone up as zone valve - and leave your Warmup 'on' - the DT92 then performs the switching.

The DTS92 is the only sensor input allowed into evohome. The warmup will still have its own temp thermostat cut off I suspect - but you will need the DTS92 to provide a reading to allow the DT92 to switch (if you see what I mean). So you will not be able to avoid. There should be a high correlation with air temp and your floor though.

Evohome will still perform its 'learning' so will control the valuable 'time on' and 'time off' element.
                        Hi Rameses.
                        I have a similar Warmup set up in my bathroom floor and looking at getting an Evohome, but wanting to add in to control for the floor.
                        Can I clarify you mention "the DT92 then performs the switching", do you mean BDR91 Wireless Relay Box does the switching, with it being installed as a zone valve controller?
                        With my house I might be struggling to keep to 12 sensible zones and use a zone just for the floor (I would have 2 zones for the bathroom, one for radiator and one for electric floor.) does adding in an additional evohome controller give any extra options?

Anywhere we can see some additional information on how evohome works with second controller, can zones controlled by it be accessed remotely, do you need two gateways. can one controller see zones from other controller etc.

many thanks for your contributions to the forum.
                        Regards Chapelhill.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                          Site Sponsor
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chapelhill View Post
                          Hi Rameses.
                          I have a similar Warmup set up in my bathroom floor and looking at getting an Evohome, but wanting to add in to control for the floor.
                          Can I clarify you mention "the DT92 then performs the switching", do you mean BDR91 Wireless Relay Box does the switching, with it being installed as a zone valve controller?
                          With my house I might be struggling to keep to 12 sensible zones and use a zone just for the floor (I would have 2 zones for the bathroom, one for radiator and one for electric floor.) does adding in an additional evohome controller give any extra options?

Anywhere we can see some additional information on how evohome works with second controller, can zones controlled by it be accessed remotely, do you need two gateways. can one controller see zones from other controller etc.

many thanks for your contributions to the forum.
                          Regards Chapelhill.
                          Hi Chapelhill,

Just to clarify the DT92E is a combo pack consisting of a DTS92E wireless digital thermostat and BDR91 wireless relay box. The relay does the switching and the DTS92E is the temperature sensing. The Y87RF is also a combo pack and will also do the same if you want a nicer looking thermostat. I can also supply a larger Honeywell wireless relay box that can handle 10A and is fully compatible with evohome for larger electric UFH loads.

If you are going past 12 zones, rather than looking at a second controller for one extra zone why not use a connected single zone thermostat? This could be used on the same app as the evohome controller uses (just a different location) and would stop the problem with the central heating boiler firing for electric UFH demand.

Just to clarify two evohome Controllers would mean two RFG100's and the two evohome Controllers cannot see each other, they are just simply part of the same App set-up as a different location (say 'upstairs' as one location for one controller and 'downstairs' as the second controller on the app).

Hope that helps.

Richard

Comment

• Caudera
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                            Hi Chapelhill,

Just to clarify the DT92E is a combo pack consisting of a DTS92E wireless digital thermostat and BDR91 wireless relay box. The relay does the switching and the DTS92E is the temperature sensing. The Y87RF is also a combo pack and will also do the same if you want a nicer looking thermostat. I can also supply a larger Honeywell wireless relay box that can handle 10A and is fully compatible with evohome for larger electric UFH loads.

If you are going past 12 zones, rather than looking at a second controller for one extra zone why not use a connected single zone thermostat? This could be used on the same app as the evohome controller uses (just a different location) and would stop the problem with the central heating boiler firing for electric UFH demand.

Just to clarify two evohome Controllers would mean two RFG100's and the two evohome Controllers cannot see each other, they are just simply part of the same App set-up as a different location (say 'upstairs' as one location for one controller and 'downstairs' as the second controller on the app).

Hope that helps.

Richard
                            Hello, I am interested in this 10A wireless relay. Which model is it?
                            Thanks

Comment

• xavk
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jan 2016

Hi Guys,

First post here but longtime reader who just jumped into Evohome at Xmas, in large part thanks to the info here that I could integrate my small Warmup installation (circa 3m sq) and in the near future, Smartthings.

I've now obtained a Y87RF and had a good read about how to install it but I am stuck. Withing the Warmup, the installation is per the current install guide (http://www.warmup.co.uk/assets/Uploa...de-v4-2013.pdf) with teh following wires:

2. Connect to Power Supply (Live – MAX 240V)
                              3. Connect to Power Supply (Neutral – MAX 240V)
                              4. Connect to Warmup heater(s) (Neutral – MAX 3600W/ 16 Amps)
                              5. Connect to Warmup heater(s) (Live – MAX 3600W/ 16 Amps)
                              7. Connect to 1st wire of floor sensor (colour not important)
                              8. Connect to 2nd wire of floor sensor (colour not important)

I get that I need to rewire ports 4 & 5 to the BDR91 (to N and middle L - see page 4 of http://www.honeywelluk.com/Documents...th%20links.pdf for diagram). What I am unclear on is what I should do with the wires currently in the Warmup. Can someone please advise where they need to go (the L on the right or A / B/ C)?

Thanks,

Xav

Comment

Working...
                              X