• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdenver
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2014

remote control of heating

I only have one zone on a combo boiler and want heating control on a iOS device. Would like the option of adding remote TVR's for zoning at a later stage.
    Would also like to see a graph of heating over a period of time.

The heat Genius looks ok, just not happy with the design of the thermostat for the wall. Any other ideas?
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Originally posted by jdenver View Post
    I only have one zone on a combo boiler and want heating control on a iOS device. Would like the option of adding remote TVR's for zoning at a later stage.
    Would also like to see a graph of heating over a period of time.

The heat Genius looks ok, just not happy with the design of the thermostat for the wall. Any other ideas?
    Welcome to the 'Jungle' of home automation. I have gone for Evohome. I note that Honeywell is about to release a smart thermostat (£92) which is both standalone and Evohome compatible. Alternatively, buy the Evohome controller and remote access(£187 + £57) which would get you what you want now with the ability to go for 12 zones in the future.

Google 'TheEvoHomeShop' for more information.

PS I have no business or personal links with this firm.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
      • Feb 2009

If your radiators are not inside cabinets or behind full length curtains etc then the Honeywell HR92 Radiator Controller should not need a separate room sensor - it's built-in sensors will measure and feedback room temperature directly. If you do want to have a separate room sensor for any reason then you can add any of the several compatible Honeywell models to the system at extra cost, however in the majority of cases the sensor in the HR92 would work just as well.
      Sensible Heat
      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• jdenver
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2014

What puts me off of Honeywell is the screens, I want the screen fixed to the wall and also want the feedback from heating last week, month etc. not sure if the honeywell unit does this.

Comment

• watchforstock
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by jdenver View Post
          What puts me off of Honeywell is the screens, I want the screen fixed to the wall and also want the feedback from heating last week, month etc. not sure if the honeywell unit does this.
          You can get a wall mount for the screen - that's how I have mine mounted. It doesn't do any history on the controller, but if you're comfortable doing some programming, I have written a Python library which can connect and get access to zone temperatures etc. I log this information every 5 minutes to a database to give me a historic view.

Comment

• Hot
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Oct 2014

If you you were using Heat Genius and you wanted to use a screen that is fixed to the wall then you could get a cheap old Android mobile phone or a iPhone that can be attached to the wall or better still why not use the Android phone, tablet or Apple equivalent to operate the Heat Genius at home and even when you are away from home e.g. if you wanted to pre-heat your home before of your arrival.
            Last edited by Hot; 11 October 2014, 02:13 PM.
            I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
              • Feb 2009

I'm not aware of any systems that store historical data for later analysis without setting up your own data logging/storage, so you'd need to decide how much work you would be prepared to take on to add your own solution to achieve this as some systems are easier than others to interrogate via official APIs or unofficial reverse-engineered solutions. The unofficial solutions always run the risk that the manufacturer makes changes that prevent the data being accessed. A for example, one of my colleagues is using the methods mentioned above to store setpoint and room sensor values for his Evo system via a Raspberry PI. However it is completely unofficial so has no support from Honeywell and no guarantee that it will continue to work this way into the future.
              Sensible Heat
              SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Hot
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Oct 2014

My Intelligent Heating Control stores historical data for later analysis as a standard. At the moment it is OK for basic data analysis but I am aware that the manufacturer is working on a far more advanced charting software.
                I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                  • Feb 2009

What does it store and how is the information presented?
                  Sensible Heat
                  SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Hot
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Oct 2014

Heat Genius - Charting Capabilities

My Heat Genius data is stored offline on a system server and the information presented at the moment is by a Line Chart. Different colours are used to distinct between different data but the charts information is instantly recognisable. This module is being extensively improved and I am reliably informed will offer many more smart features and different types of charts but lets wait and see what the future holds.

My Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating system records my heating and occupancy patterns and temperatures, so I can see changes in use and potential energy savings for each room. For me it is important to be able to see when and how long each Zone or room is used. This can be seen in multiple blocks of 15 minutes. One function of the Heat Genius Charts that I treasure is how the Chart show when the system comes on or is switched off.

At any point I can access my historical heating graphs, which show me the target and actual temperature in each of my Zones or my rooms. I can use these graphs to see what temperatures my Zones or rooms reach at different parts of the day or week.

I can choose from any of my Zones or rooms and the Heat Genius Charting module allows me to customise how many days the graph displays, based on a starting point of my choice. Currently my Charts can be viewed over a period of 1 day, 2 days or a week. I can instantly access all my stored data and I am able to analyse from the first day the Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating system was commissioned. I can do this analysis using a PC (DeskTop or LapTop and Android or iOS mobile devices.

As I also have multiple Zone or rooms sensors, I can see how my Heat Genius Intelligent FOOTPRINT mode is mirroring my Zones or room usage pattern, or how accurate my timer predictions are compared with when I really do use the rooms. This allows me to make more accurate ‘heating periods’, saving me money by not heating parts of my home we aren't using and increasing our comfort as the system will only heat the rooms when we need them.
                    Last edited by Hot; 15 October 2014, 02:03 PM. Reason: Adding a header and correcting few typos

Comment

• jdenver
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Hot View Post
                      The data is stored offline on a system server and the information presented at the moment on a Line Chart. Different colours are used to distinct between different data but the charts information is instantly recognisable.

My heating system records my heating patterns and temperatures, so I can see changes in use and potential energy savings for each room.

At any point I can access my historical heating graphs, which show me the target and actual temperature in each of my Zones or my rooms. I can use these graphs to see what temperatures my Zones or rooms reach at different parts of the day or week.

I can choose from any of my Zones or rooms and the Charting module allows me to customise how many days the graph displays, based on a starting point of my choice. Currently my charts can be viewed over a period of 1 day, 2 days or a week. The stored data I can access to analize is from the first day the heating system was commissioned.

As I also have multiple Zone or rooms sensors, I can see how my Intelligent Footprint mode is mirroring my Zones or room use pattern, or how accurate my timer predictions are compared with when I really do use the rooms. This allows me to make more accurate ‘heating periods’, saving me money by not heating parts of my home we aren’t using and increasing our comfort as the system will only heat the rooms when we need them.
                      Sounds good, what system are you using.

Comment

• jdenver
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Oct 2014

What system are you using 'Hot'?, sounds good.

Comment

• Hot
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Oct 2014

Heat Genius - my preferred Smart Intelligent Heating System

I am using Heat Genius and my Heat Genius system consists of:

1 x Heat Genius Hub — the ‘brain box’ that provides the link between your broadband router all the other components on the wireless (Z-wave) network. The Hub allows you to schedule your heating from any web device.

1 x Heat Genius boiler controller and thermostat — the Heat Genius System comes with HRT4-ZW and a ASR-ZW boiler controller that have extensively tried and tested, and uses Z-Wave standard wireless technology. The boiler controller is compatible with most heating systems because it fits onto a standard thermostat backplate. The HRT4-ZW comes supplied with 2 AAA batteries and you can expect a battery life in excess of two years.

8 x Heat Genius wireless thermostatic valve controllers – these slip on to the end of your radiator instead of the existing thermostatic radiator valve head, and communicate wirelessly with the Genius Hub.

6 x Heat Genius intelligent zoning thermostats and motion sensors — the Heat Genius multi-sensor looks like a motion sensor and acts like one too. But it’s also so much more. The sensor combines a PIR (Motion) sensor with a light sensor and a temperature sensor all in one small package. The multi-sensor enables intelligent control with motion sensing. The wireless Heat Genius motion sensors allow the system to be able to collate and then learn when you use each room and schedule the heating automatically (FOOTPRINT Mode). The sensor’s 3V Lithium battery (CR123A) that is provided should give you more than 2 years of use in normal situations; the sensor sends an alert to the network when the battery needs replacing.

4 x Smart sockets — these simply repeat the wireless signal it on to other Z-Wave devices in your network. This extends the range and ensures that the network is reliable even through thick walls and other obstacles.

I did the installation myself. Most people should be able to install this system. I am disabled and suffer from Muscular Dystrophy, hence my reason wanting a system I could operate remotely through my Android Tablet, PC or my Mobile - it is straight forward to install but I did call Heat Genius few times to get advice and their help and support was brilliant.

I am now in the process of adding three more Heat Genius Smart sockets so I can limit the time how my long my battery operated devices are charged and to switch on-and-off my lamps and to use them for added benefit as security light controllers and yes I will also use one of the Smart socket to switch on my coffee machine in the morning so I can wake up to refreshing and stimulating coffee aroma.

Originally I had intended to buy Honeywell Evohome but thankfully for me they had technical difficulties to comply with UK Heating Regulations and I bought the Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating system instead. The Heat Genius system is almost bullet proof and even though the room sensors and TRVs are battery operated my Lithium batteries last a long, long time and I have no issues with them.
                          Last edited by Hot; 15 October 2014, 01:22 PM. Reason: Adding a header and correcting few typos

Comment

• Hot
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Oct 2014

Heat Genius - Perhaps a Not-So-Ugly Duckling After All

JDenver - if my memory serves me right I can recall I used almost the exact words as you did when you said "The Heat Genius looks OK, just not happy with the design of the thermostat for the wall"

To be fair to Heat Genius you don't need to use the thermostat if you are using intelligent zoning thermostats and motion sensor to remotely control the temperature in your room.

These tiny room thermostats are so small that people hardly notice them on your wall, but as Shakespeare once wrote these words "there is method to my madness" I must admit that I have learned to love the functionality of the supplied thermostat and I can now see a beauty in its cleverly designed solution that it can provide me with but I don't use it in my Living Area - I use it in my front hall where it is used very cleverly as a Whole House temperature adjusting device. Let my quickly explain to you what I mean.

On the occasions when I am leaving the house and I suddenly remember that I have not lowered my heating I don't want to jump back in and switch on my mobile, PC or Tablet. I just turn the wheels just as you would do on an ordinary wall placed thermostat and lower the heat everywhere. If I wanted to keep the heat for whatever reason in one room I always have the option to re-adjust the heating with my mobile phone at a later time.

Another clever way of using this thermostat is for example if the Internet is out - luckily this does not happen often but it does happen occasionally and then the thermostat can be used just as a manual thermostat as almost everyone is used to. You of course don't have to raise the temperature in the whole house as all the radiators will have been installed with Smart Intelligent TRVs so I can just press the up or down arrows on the TRV heads to raise or lower the required temperature on the radiators that I want to adjust the temperature on.

I would like to add that all the the built in clever functions of the Smart Intelligent TRVs will function regardless of whether the Internet is on-or-off. For me the not-so-ugly duckling has become a beautiful bird after all. What do you now think?
                            Last edited by Hot; 15 October 2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• jdenver
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Oct 2014

Yeah, I do like the sound of that, you put it very well. I am more biased towards the HG because of its historical data etc. Will have a think about it all. Thanks for your input, its much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X