• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Winter
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2007

H264 IP Cameras?

Hello Folks

Seems like ages since my last post (it was!)

Just wondering if Cortex will ever be capable of accepting H264 streams - it seems MJPEG is becoming less common now and it might make sense to move to the newer standard.

I did a quick search but it seems no-one has yet posed the question.

John
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

I have nothing further to add but I'm following the thread with interest
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

it has gone remarkably quiet - people must be busy !

on the motorway, going north, yesterday afternoon, we found it extraordinarily busy - almost like there was an exodus from something we'd not heard of ...
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

In the meantime you might want to experiment with re-streaming H264 to MJPEG using VLC. I've not tried it - just seen references to this as a possible method. Doing it natively in Cortex is not so straightforward at present.

Comment

• John Winter
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2007

Thanks Karam... and sorry folks for the very delayed reply.

i was actually looking to reduce the load on (and ultimately the size of) my server by devolving the encoding to the cameras themselves - if server hosted VLC was used to re-encode H264 to MJPEG then my objective would be missed - is there any roadmap for Cortex to eventually support H264?
          --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

I believe it is possible but expensive so not on the imminent horizon. I'm not sure how much the processing load would be reduced. Doesn't the decoding have to be done somewhere outside of the camera? I.e the H264 stream will have to be converted to a format more suited to image processing which I'm guessing would mean reconstituting image frames rather than working directly on the H264 data. Perhaps this process is quick compared to re-encoding to mjpeg (though the latter is a series of still image frames anyway).

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

it is pretty intensive, we found, so we used an off-board processor to do our H264 processing :

Elgato's Turbo.264 HD speeds up QuickTime-compatible video encoding on slow and fast Macs but trades speed for a measure of quality.

source material coming from EyeTV & exported to iPhone / iPod touch, only, though ...

NB: not suggesting it's the answer to anything, just that the article gave some figures etc
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 8 November 2014, 01:25 PM.
              Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
              X