Thread: OT: SIM Desk Phone options?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default OT: SIM Desk Phone options?

Hi all,

Until recently I have been using one of these -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151456559223
    - in a location with no landline and poor mobile reception. It has worked quite well given that the phone needed to be obvious and easy to use for multiple people plus hard to lose or leave lying around like most mobile phones these days.

Anyhow after nearly two years it seems as if the main chip has risen to the silicon god in the sky and before I go and buy another one just wondered if anyone knew of any alternatives that I should consider.

Long term I would also like to have a laptop at the same location with internet connectivity so if there were a dream device that allowed tethering as well as the above functionality for around the same money, then hey presto we would have a winner.

Thanks all,

Brad

Automated Home Sr Member

Thumbs up Blackberry as a Internet provider

Quote Originally Posted by bradsalmon View Post
    Hi all,

Until recently I have been using one of these -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151456559223
    - in a location with no landline and poor mobile reception. It has worked quite well given that the phone needed to be obvious and easy to use for multiple people plus hard to lose or leave lying around like most mobile phones these days.

Anyhow after nearly two years it seems as if the main chip has risen to the silicon god in the sky and before I go and buy another one just wondered if anyone knew of any alternatives that I should consider.

Long term I would also like to have a laptop at the same location with internet connectivity so if there were a dream device that allowed tethering as well as the above functionality for around the same money, then hey presto we would have a winner.

Thanks all,

Brad
    You can use a Blackberry to tether to and provide a simple mobile internet connection for your laptop. You will find plenty of information how to do this on sites like Crackberry.com
    I am totally independent writer and my writing is not skewed in any way by receiving payment for my writing. I reduce my gas bills by using Heat Genius Smart Intelligent Heating Controls with more efficient Column radiators.

Try asking one of the big mobile phone operators. I know in Spain Vodaphone do a mobile internet package including router and phone.
    Here is a link to a similar phone as the one on ebay but its cheaper.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks all - certainly given me something to think about.

Hi Brad,

How about:
    http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/3G/Hu...hone-Port.html

4G, WiFi, 1x ethernet port and an RJ11 POTS (telephone) port. £112+vat

I've no direct experience, just came across it as I was googling.

HTH,
    Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

Nice find Tim - certainly fits the bill and would appear to give more future flexibility .
    thanks