• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Next Stage in Home Automation Quest

Sooo, I have now caught the home automation bug. I have my Evohome for heating and I have my Lightwaverf for my lights and sockets so now my next potential project is piped music round the house. But where to start? The trigger for this is that I would like music in the bathroom (both prerecorded and radio.)

Bit of background - we recently moved into a 2 bed bungalow. Next spring we will be refurbishing the bathroom and sitting room (including skimming walls.) I have a NAS with all my music on, son & I both have Iphones and hubby has an Android LG (but is not particularly techy). I also have a Yamaha AV RXV475 receiver for surround sound for the TV with cheap mix and match speakers. When the tv isn't on I use the AV receiver for music via Airplay.

I guess I am thinking about ceiling speakers for the bathroom and perhaps wall mounted speakers in the living room. Maybe also ceiling speakers in the kitchen and bedrooms?

What sort of kit would I need. I don't have a bottomless pit of money but have a bit of time to invest gradually (perhaps smuggle things into the house without hubby seeing until it is too late ).
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Hey Mavis,

There are a couple of options here....

Airplay - Looks like you are already used to the system. Both ATV and Airports support this, and both have some form of audio output that could be plumbed into a small audio amp and onto ceiling speakers.

Airfoil - Similar technology to the above, but allows for non-Apple kit

Sonos - Quite expensive, but just works. Play systems allow for individual rooms, and Connect allows for connection to Ceiling Speakers

All systems can integrate with NAS, however Sonos allows for multiple music sources being played in different locations in a unifed App. Others may allow for this in a not so elegant way.

One thing to note is if you want Ceiling speakers in bathrooms, check that the cones are moisture proof. Polk speakers have a good reputatation and allow for fairly invisible flush fitting

Vangelis

Comment

• Otto-Mate
      Founder
      • Jan 2004

Another vote for Sonos. We just have a Play:3 on top of a kitchen cupboard, 2 minute 'install' works great. Easy to expand to the rest of the house as you need. Here's our bathroom zone too...

M.
      Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
      www.twitter.com/ottomate
      www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Mavis
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Oct 2014

Thanks both. I will do some reading on Sonos but I have only heard good things about it.

We are new to Apple products and I have only just discovered Airplay. I like the fact that I can put my music on in the sitting room and play it through my surround speakers via my AV receiver. The downside of this is that someone will walk in and put the TV on!

Otto-Mate, I like the bathroom installation and that is what I think I am looking for and although I would die for the wall controller, we are likely to move in a few years so couldn't justify unless we are in our 'forever' home.

So with the Sonos, (on a very basic level) for the bathroom setup I would need a 'box of tricks' (ie the Connect) with wires connecting it to a ceiling speaker. Then for other rooms add a Play 1 or 3?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

You'd use a CONNECT:AMP for the bathroom probably Mavis.

M.
          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
          www.twitter.com/ottomate
          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

i have fallen hook line and sinker for apple

we have several apple tv and airport express dotted around the house plugged into various av outputs (sounddocks, alarm clocks, tvs etc...)

wherever anyone in the family is they can simply connect their iphones by airplay

we all have spotify and can play pretty much any music/album artist

outlay? circa £100 per node...
            I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Another vote for Sonos.
              The gadget show did a test and Sonos came out tops, the presenter wasn't that impressed with Apple's attempt though.
              The latest issue of Stuff magazine ( the cover says Build your Own Tech), Has a mini article on various whole house audio systems, including Sonos.
              The only thing I would say about Apple is once you are in the Apple ecosystem its difficult to then use other technology seamlessly with it. Some tech works straight out of the box other stuff not so plug and play.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
              X