• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

EvoHome - Gateway failure

Hi there,

Been using my EvoHome quite happily for a while now. I've just moved my Internet boxes from the hallway to upstairs and when I powered the EvoHome gateway back on, the 3 lights on the side of it now pulse orange slowly and there is a slight clicking sound from the box.

Having called Homewell, they suggest it is the power supply that has failed and are sending out a new one.

I was wondering if anyone else had had problems with their gateway ?\

Thanks,
    Roy.
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

It must be one of the original production batches of the Gateway. Honeywell have told installers that a small percentage of these suffer from a power supply circuit problem (inside the Gateway, not the external PSU), and as the internal power supply board ages it can start to draw extra power which then exceeds the output of the supplied PSU. We've seen it happen when you power down the gateway and on reconnecting the power it looks dead or the LEDs glow very dimly. This must be a marginal issue as the replacement PSUs are 6v rather than 5v, and this brings the "faulty" gateway back to life immediately. There has been a manufacturing change as the newer units do not suffer this issue and are still supplied with the original 5v supply.
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• roydonaldson
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2013

That sounds like exactly what the problem is that I'm experiencing. Yes, mine would have been one of the first batch out in the UK.

It is a shame that they don't replace the faulty units. I had expected them to just do a simple box swap. In fact, knowing that, then under UK law they should be replacing the gateway as they know it's the faulty component and the fault was there when shipped.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

The Gateay can be swapped, however you need to arrange this via your supplier as your contract of sale is with them, not Honeywell, and it does require you to delete the "old" unit from both your Evo Touch controller and online account before rebounding/adding the new unit. It does not affect all units, so if/when the problem occurs you should raise it with your installer/supplier so they can sort out the most convenient option for you.

Bare in mind under consumer law you are entitled to a repair or replacement, so either option would be acceptable under the SoG act.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• roydonaldson
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jan 2013

Yes, suppliers first act was to give me Honeywell's tech number.

Anyway, Honeywell were fine and are sending me out a new PSU. If it is a new 6V one, then I think I'll be calling them back and letting them know how well it works.....

Comment

• roydonaldson
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2013

Yes, that's a 6V power supply arrived in the post this morning. Though, seems like it's not made much of a difference. Unit comes on and off etc. but doesn't seem to stay up and stable. Think I need to call them back..Time for a new gateway ?

Just called them. Yup, time to go back to supplier and get a replacement unit.
            Last edited by roydonaldson; 31 December 2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X